SOAP-based web services survey

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
aware_support

Re: SOAP-based web services survey

Post by aware_support »

A few people reported issues with 8.5 and Big Sur. Some were not even able to run it. We are not sure exactly what was wrong, but it is a well known fact that the version of Eclipse that Aware IM is using in 8.5 has issues with Big Sur. If those people who reported problems are watching this thread they can provide the details.
Aware IM Support Team
Andrea

Post by Andrea »

As an Aware IM and Mac user for 12 years, I’ll give some feedback on the macOS glitches.

I’m currently running Aware IM 8.4 on a remote server as well as on my local iMac. I develop on my local mac and upload the BSV on my remote server. I accidentally updated to Big Sur on my local mac and though it still runs fine, it does have its glitches. The most common glitch is missing text. For example, when you add a query to the VP menu and go to choose the query, the list is blank. You need to click the blank list and it populates. Other examples are missing text here and there. Since I know where things are in the configurator, I’ve just worked around the glitches. None of the glitches has stopped me from working as usual, however, a new user would have issues. Perhaps they are fixed in 8.5.

I used to regularly update Aware IM with the latest updates as it took me, a non-technical user, 15 minutes to update and was so easy. Then came the versions with Eclipse and the need for SSL. Eclipse and the MacOS no longer worked well together and updates became big hassles and could take me a few weeks to get bugs figured out. I also have no expertise with SSL. So I hired Intra to set up my SSL and do my Aware IM updates on my remote server. He is an awesome genius who took away all my system headaches. I know the update he did to 8.4 did not go smoothly and I believe he sent his notes to Support.

My current strategy is to avoid AwareIM updates because it no longer goes smoothly. If it went back to easy, then I would go back to regular updates. From what I’ve heard about 8.5, I’m staying with 8.4. I realize the issues come from outside of Aware IM (Java, Eclipse, macOS), so if Aware IM can do anything to make it better for Mac in 8.6, you have my vote.
Andrea
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

The most common glitch is missing text. For example, when you add a query to the VP menu and go to choose the query, the list is blank. You need to click the blank list and it populates.
I am not so sure this problem is unique to MAC

I am on Windows and there have been numerous occasions in my testing of V8.5 where I have experienced screen refresh issues which makes the object rules disappear, the only way to resolve this is to close the object tab and re-open the object again

Also sometimes the menu buttons for up and down placement and search on the rules grid form just disappear, once again to resolve this close the tabs and re-open

The other issue I have experienced which is more serious, making changes to an object by adding new form settings saving , and then running a preview screen to ascertain all is well and finally placing under test to find that none of the new changes appear. Then going back to check on each setting to make sure they are in fact there (revert back to editing) to find they ARE in fact all there but have been ignored when putting under test.

The only way to resolve this is to completely unload the configurator and then reload, the result being all the new settings carried out are gone. (This is after a valid save correct preview and further confirmation that all settings are in place – the configurator was in fact showing a fake setup :shock: )

I initially thought that it may be faulty memory on my laptop causing this (in another thread other users in the forum do not appear to have the same problems), so moved to a Windows 2016 server version and the same issues prevail – So there is something inside Eclipse behaving very badly and is why it appears sluggish most of the time - not sure if it has something to do with the size of the BSV

The one thing I do know, is to never leave your configurator open for a period of time, It’s best when you resume work to unload the configurator first and then reload and start fresh again
Andrea

Post by Andrea »

Yes, I've learnt to shut down the configurator if it's going to be idol for a period of time.

Another glitch I'm having is the integrity checker. The first time it is run when I'm using a new session in the configurator, it works fine. But any additional checks does not populate the "Problems" window. It shows the number of issues, but you have to click on them so they will show up and it leaves the resolved issues in the list. It doesn't seem to be clearing or populating properly.
Andrea
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

with the configurator on OS X, you can summarize the issues with a lack of screen refresh.

example. a 4 line process. I delete line 1 and it still looks like it has 4 lines, line 4 moved up to line 3 but line 4 still stays there.

example. Designing a form, you place a field on the form and it is not displayed, until you save the form, close it, and reopen it.

(btw, for those using the standalone Jasper Studio, same issue)

Bruce
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

I'm on 8.5 on Mac CATALINA (remote to Win 2016 server) and sometimes natively on 2016 server.
Have NONE of the issues reported by ACDC.
I almost NEVER exit config tool - open for days at a time.
No issues.

Same on Mac.
Never close it.
8.5 bld 2832
Stayed off Big Sur as soon as Bruce reported issues.

Biggest issues that have always been with Eclipse on Mac are:
1) Aware missed some "styling" tags. text is harder to read
props.png
props.png (86.21 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
2) Customize Font issues
1st thing a NEW user will want to do when starting Aware on a large screen is make text bigger.
I use Tahoma 20.
Combo boxes aren't sized right
Underscores never show up (cause field height isn't sized right)
sizing.png
sizing.png (141.86 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

Window not wide enough to accommodate larger typeface
crap
can't add attachments
"board quota has been reached"

Seems to be a board setting that lets an account only upload a MAX # of attachments. Seems I have hit mine, so I can't add more without deleting stuff from OLD posts.

And while someone is editing settings, we should increase the MAX SIZE of attachments.
And no real reason to limit us to 3 attachments per msg.
Storage is cheap. makes posting things a hassle.
Last edited by Jaymer on Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

If you increase the font, a user will see this:
Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 2.14.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 2.14.30 PM.png (111.22 KiB) Viewed 4141 times

But the bottom 2 lines might be cut off. A new user would have no idea this stuff is there.
Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 2.14.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 2.14.39 PM.png (121.97 KiB) Viewed 4141 times

Jaymer
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

It looks like that we WILL BE adding support for consuming SOAP web services in 8.6 - we had to completely re-write the module that does that.

But we do need some help with testing. We have tested all WSDL's that we know about, but still there are certain SOAP scenarios that remain un-tested, because we do not know real-world WSDL's that use them. So if you can share WSDL's that you use when consuming SOAP web services, please share them with us, so that we can test them. Feel free to share them here or send us an email.

Thank you
Aware IM Support Team