Does anyone care about Filtering rows in a grid, and then sending THAT Result Set to a Process or Report?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Jaymer

Does anyone care about Filtering rows in a grid, and then sending THAT Result Set to a Process or Report?

Post by Jaymer »

While the grid is pretty nice, there have been a few 'holy grail' issues... saved queries, user defined tags, etc.

But one unsolved thing is: if a user filters a grid, how can that specific set of records be sent to process / report?
If you look at Dave's query builder, that ultimately builds a FIND statement which handles the 2nd need - that set of recs can be put into context with EXEC_STR and voila!

But that doesn't involve the Kendo Grid and a user doesn't user the grid filters... they are building it by hand.

But users who see their data in the Grid (which is almost all Aware users, right) DO NOT have a mechanism to get that data out, EXCEPT exports to Excel, CSV, HTML, PDF... which use the built-in Kendo options... which are nice, but there are issues/limitations/workarounds needed, etc.

I'm wondering if any of this is addressed in the upcoming v9? (and when is that due, anyway?)
I heard/read somewhere that v9 will use the "latest" kendo... but does that mean more integration with all neat kendo methods - or will Init/Render script PLUS Javascript knowledge still be needed to extend the grid?

Currently, I know because I have seen it, there are variables in the Browser memory [for a Grid] where you can see the FIND statement (ie. the Query that fed the grid). There could [easily] be a way, with a new function, to start a PROCESS sending the FIND statement that is equivalent to the current displayed grid. From there, you could save that FIND, or execute it to put those recs into context. And then you're back to Dave's grid builder EXCEPT the user used the normal grid that he's used to and the next thing is a Report or Process.

With a tiny bit of JS (which Aware could do easier than any of us), we could put a panel Operation button that runs Javascript, and then does a AwareApp.startProcess and this could probably done tomorrow in any of the current v8 versions.

In my opinion, this has been a major limitation in the grid for some time.
But if no one speaks up, then there's no reason for Vlad to invest any time in anything.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
Jhstephenson

Re: Does anyone care about Filtering rows in a grid, and then sending THAT Result Set to a Process or Report?

Post by Jhstephenson »

Jaymer, there must be something behind the scenes doing it, because if you do a query and then filter it, and then hit the Export to CSV button, it will only give you the filtered records in your CSV file. Is that running a process that uses the filtered query data somehow?
ACDC

Re: Does anyone care about Filtering rows in a grid, and then sending THAT Result Set to a Process or Report?

Post by ACDC »

If you add a panel operation process to the grid and use the "Applicable to multiple items" setting, wouldn't that work?
The user would have to be educated to select all, before starting the process though, unless of course in the process you can check for selection, not sure if that's possible.
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

Jaymer wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:30 pm if a user filters a grid, how can that specific set of records be sent to process / report?
I often use custom filters e.g a form on top of query instead of the queries built in filters and I mainly do that due to the limitations (things like this) in the current grid. Hoping the new kendo implementation can add some more stuff. The custom filter solution works (but is a lot of extra work).
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

Jhstephenson wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:30 am Jaymer, there must be something behind the scenes doing it, because if you do a query and then filter it, and then hit the Export to CSV button, it will only give you the filtered records in your CSV file. Is that running a process that uses the filtered query data somehow?
Jim, thats stuff it built into Kendo. Doesn't come back to Aware.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

ACDC wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:09 am If you add a panel operation process to the grid and use the "Applicable to multiple items" setting, wouldn't that work?
The user would have to be educated to select all, before starting the process though, unless of course in the process you can check for selection, not sure if that's possible.
Yes, I've done this. Built a whole system to have a "current set" of Contacts data. You can view it, add/edit it. All with those [ ] checkboxes on the left side. Then, once the set was built, you could save it and then it was used to send those Contacts into a MailChimp campaign via REST.
Adds an extra layer to the User experience. Those multiple-selection checkboxes don't work well across multiple grid PAGES - so you've got to have a big enough PageSize to handle all your recs - then that hogs memory and slows Kendo down a little.

Yes, its doable that way, but like I said, after each Filter, Aware Client JS is rebuilding a Query (in the browser DOM) and sending it to Aware Server, then re-displaying the results. THAT QUERY is there, waiting for us to do something with it. And with Support's help, it will be easy.
Support wrote:(this is a notification for Support)

Jaymer
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

Kinda thought @support would chip in here.
All the new features are nice, but this is a user need thats been out there for years.

Jaymer