V 8.5 Developer Edition change /AwareIM/

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
marc

V 8.5 Developer Edition change /AwareIM/

Post by marc »

I am doing a new project using AwareIM 8.5 Developer Edition and was trying to change the URL from /AwareIM/ to e.g. /app/
I was checking this forum and was trying to follow doing the suggested changes.
I also added the value WebAppBase=app in the UIConfog.props file and of corse renamed the folder below Tomcat.
As I was not developing a new application for some time ther must have been a change as in AwareIM 5.x changeing the URL was possible and working well.
By the way, after changing the URL and trying to add inline new data to an query everything works as slong as the URL contains /AwareIM/ after changeing the new added data cannot be stored...
In general it seems to me changeing the URL works mostly but causes issues which come up in using AwareIM.

Is there a offial working solution to change the URL in Version 8.5?
<<Marc>>
hpl123

Re: V 8.5 Developer Edition change /AwareIM/

Post by hpl123 »

I have followed this guide in 8.5: https://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic ... name+aware

I do however have issues with previews in the config tool but everything else works. If anyone has an updated list of steps and could share these, that would be great. I have lost my original list for this as well.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

I use NGINX as a reverse proxy it redirects the URL so it hides the /aware/ and because it is NGINX that communicates with AwareIM it also hides the port in the URL and reduces the amount of work when you update AIM

It uses lets encrypt to manage SSL without needing to deal with Tomcat and fiddling about with the keystore

It also allows for the AIM server to be taken down and automatically redirect the user to a message page and reduces ability to attack the AIM server.

You can use one NGINX server to redirect to multiple different AIM or web servers
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

I use NGINX as a reverse proxy it redirects the URL so it hides the /aware/ and because it is NGINX that communicates with AwareIM it also hides the port in the URL and reduces the amount of work when you update AIM

It uses lets encrypt to manage SSL without needing to deal with Tomcat and fiddling about with the keystore
I really need to get this set up working, are you using the community (free) version?

Also, how complex is it to set NGINX up, do you have any tips on how to get this working in a Windows Server environment and within the context AwareIM
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

ACDC wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:10 am

I really need to get this set up working, are you using the community (free) version?

Also, how complex is it to set NGINX up, do you have any tips on how to get this working in a Windows Server environment and within the context AwareIM
I confess to having a decent amount of assistance from Intra so it was really easy (for me).

I had managed to get it mostly setup but I had a couple of challenges that he fixed up for me. I had set it up on a Linux box, I don't know much (anything) about Windows setups but I think it's generally better to have separate machines

I'm using the community edition.
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

I use IIS as a reverse proxy for letsencrypt SSL but haven´t thought about using it for these other things. Using a reverse proxy, IIS or NGINX, sounds like it can be used for a lot of Aware related improvements, it would be nice if someone knowing how it (IIS or NGINX) works (or support) could do a video or write up some rough notes on how to set it up.
swiftinitpvtltd

Post by swiftinitpvtltd »

I have same issue in 8.6 version after changing /AwareIM to /apps everything works great except preview in developer tool does not work.

https://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic ... e&start=15
customaware

Post by customaware »

I think you need to change the line....

OperationMode=http\://localhost\:8080/AwareIM/logonAdmin.html

in the C:\AwareIM\bin\UIConfig.props file to

OperationMode=http\://localhost\:8080/app/logonAdmin.html
Cheers,
Mark
customaware

Post by customaware »

swiftinitpvtltd wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:43 am I have same issue in 8.6 version after changing /AwareIM to /apps everything works great except preview in developer tool does not work.

There are quite a number of different places where you need to make the change...I think these are documented in the post link above.
Cheers,
Mark
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

Support,
This is always a hassle, how about adding a configuration tool setting where we can change this instead in a simple way?
swiftinitpvtltd

Post by swiftinitpvtltd »

eagles9999 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:30 am
swiftinitpvtltd wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:43 am I have same issue in 8.6 version after changing /AwareIM to /apps everything works great except preview in developer tool does not work.

There are quite a number of different places where you need to make the change...I think these are documented in the post link above.
yes now the last step(preview not working) works with below steps as provided by support
open the file AwareIM/bin/UIConfig.props and add the following property:
WebAppBase=apps
Then restart the Config. Tool
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

hpl123 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:49 pm Support,
This is always a hassle, how about adding a configuration tool setting where we can change this instead in a simple way?
There's a need for the installer to manage updates not fresh installs every time.

https://awareim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11711
Gabbitas

Post by Gabbitas »

hpl123 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:49 pm Support,
+100 would be great to have a setting in the AwareIM control panel or config tool 👍

The hassle this causes me does cause me to delay / put off updating to the latest version of AIM