Phonegap alternative?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
hpl123

Phonegap alternative?

Post by hpl123 »

Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
Jaymer

Re: Phonegap alternative?

Post by Jaymer »

at least its cheaper than the others
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

They also have app files submital via an api so one idea is integrating Aware through the api i.e we could do everything from inside Aware so no hassle with zip files etc..

I would much rather see a PWA tool in Aware though, just saying...
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Can PWA be considered a serious alternative to PhoneGap and the like? Last time we checked support for native stuff in mobile browsers was quite lacking, especially in iOS. Are you saying this situation is different now?

We'd like to go PWA, but the technology still seems to be immature. Would be good to be convinced otherwise.
Aware IM Support Team
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

aware_support wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:37 am Can PWA be considered a serious alternative to PhoneGap and the like? Last time we checked support for native stuff in mobile browsers was quite lacking, especially in iOS. Are you saying this situation is different now?

We'd like to go PWA, but the technology still seems to be immature. Would be good to be convinced otherwise.
Well, not sure I can convince you and I don´t have all data concerning Awaresoft/AwareIM market and users so I can´t really form a complete picture about this but here is how I think about it. NB: I will not rant about all the benefits, features etc. etc. with a PWA as I have already done that in several other posts on the forum so if interested look at my previous posts.

First of all, I don´t see it as clear cut as "native VS PWA" as both of course have their strengths and weaknesses and which to use depends on the project and app to build but the way I would think about it is this: What would benefit MOST Aware developers now and in the future? Implementing PWA in Aware now would benefit most developers and/but nothing prevents Awaresoft from implementing/replacing native gradually i.e implement PWA and for the time being at least keep the native option. NB: I am not suggesting you remove native from Aware, both might be needed/essential in the future. I just don´t think native will survive when looking at the way PWA is progressing.

If you look at all the data and trends the mobile landscape is going towards PWA and there is in my mind no question about that. The technology is not immature, if it was big players like Google, Windows and Samsung would not integrate it into their infrastructure etc.. What is immature is Apple, falling behind everyone else and/but I believe it´s only a matter of time before Apple goes full PWA: "Microsoft and Samsung have joined Google in the quest to actively support and promote PWAs. Since early 2020, Apple seems to have realized that not all apps belong in the App Store. With the release of iOS 13, most basic PWA features are now finally fully supported on iPads and iPhones." (June 2020, https://simplabs.com/blog/2020/06/10/th ... p-in-2020/). If we for our purposes look at what Apple currently does not support it really boils down to 2 main things: 1: web push notifications and 2: distribution/install options (e.g install prompt, installer) and these are rather large things but not dealbreakers in my book as again I think these things will come to IOS sooner rather than later and not having these doesn´t mean we don´t get all other benefits of a PWA. The other native features we have in Aware are all supported (+ some more), see here for a overview comparing the different OSes: https://simplabs.com/assets/images/post ... 208ff6.png . Another thing worth mentioning here is offline support and this is possible today in a PWA using service workers (exactly how complex the offline capabilities can be in a PWA I don´t know, but everything Aware does today at least I believe is possible). A PWA can also utilize localstorage or SQLite like any other website which gives the PWA a lot of options in terms of offline storage.

If we look at the 2 main things/problems above:
- 1: web push notifications. Push notifications in PWA works fully for Android, Windows and MacOS with IOS most likely coming soon. This means with PWA in Aware developers get access to push notifications for their webapp on desktop + on Android mobile. It does not work on IOS yet but that doesn´t mean we don´t get the other benefits. When it comes to push notifications on IOS, this is a rather big thing sure but how many Aware developers are currently using push notifications for IOS via Aware? For the few where IOS and push notifications are absolutely crucial, they can still do a native IOS app via Aware (or just not offer push notifications for IOS for the time being).
- 2: distribution/install options (e.g install prompt, installer). A PWA supports an install prompt + installer option for Android, Windows and MacOS which means a end user can install a webapp (independently of appstores) on their desktop or mobile (Android) device with the click of a button which is a great feature and I reckon would be very valuable for most if not all end users + for us Aware developers/companies that want to distribute our apps to our endusers (if our options to distribute the app increases, our app distribution increases). When it comes to appstore distribution on Android and IOS. This is possible with a PWA I have read but I don´t think that part is mature enough to rely on (might be?) but I would believe (just makes sense) it´s also just a matter of time until PWA´s are fully installable on ALL appstores i.e IOS, Android AND Windows, Mac.

From a business point of view. If PWA is the future this means more and more companies and developers would look for simple tools to build complex PWA´s and why not make Aware one of the first simple RAD tools that can build complex PWA´s?
Last edited by hpl123 on Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Thank you for your thoughts, Henrik
Aware IM Support Team
weblike

Post by weblike »

Thx,
George
DB: MySql 5.6.42
tford

Post by tford »

Found this link to the Ionic PWA doc:
https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/3776657/PWA_WP_v6.pdf
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Thanks, Henrik.

A quote from this article:
"PWAs do not exist for Safari and iOS teams."

This is what makes it a showstopper from our point of view. No point migrating to PWA unless Apple is on board. At least for native mobile apps.
Aware IM Support Team
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

aware_support wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:20 pm Thanks, Henrik.

A quote from this article:
"PWAs do not exist for Safari and iOS teams."

This is what makes it a showstopper from our point of view. No point migrating to PWA unless Apple is on board. At least for native mobile apps.
Yes, I know and I understand your viewpoint. The way I see it is still, PWA´s even if low importance/priority for mobile Apple, do still work for the most part on all Apple devices including mobile (+ Android and all OS desktop) i.e it´s a lot of great functionality the developer would get access to even if Apple is, not sure what they are doing :), not actively working with it.
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

PWA updates IOS 2022: https://firt.dev/ios-15.4b .
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

PWA IOS 2022, all things supported: https://firt.dev/notes/pwa-ios/
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

Interesting read about PWA: https://www.mobiloud.com/blog/progressi ... p-examples

It is here to stay :D.
tford

Post by tford »

Thanks Henrik

Just diving back into Aware again recently. Can get me up to date about how PWA impacts Aware IM's current state of development?

Thanks!
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres