Having intermittent email send failures

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
kklosson

Having intermittent email send failures

Post by kklosson »

Seemingly out of nowhere, I started getting email send failures. The log looks like this:

INFO | jvm 1 | 2020/08/26 20:33:47 | at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
INFO | jvm 1 | 2020/08/26 20:33:47 | 2020-08-26 20:33:47,354 ERROR -One or more Reply To addresses are invalid:javax.mail.internet.AddressException Missing '<'
INFO | jvm 1 | 2020/08/26 20:33:48 | Send failed exception thrown Invalid Addresses
INFO | jvm 1 | 2020/08/26 20:33:48 | Next exception is com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPAddressFailedException550 I cannot deliver mail for <[email protected]> ~> redacted, but it's a valid address

Many of the same notifications send with no problem and I have reviewed every item in every notification for a botched up expression, but nothing found.

Support has looked at this and speculates there may be something wrong with the actual email addresses, but no, there isn't. The "Missing '<'" is a big clue but I can't link it to anything. I was also getting errors on my dev system and tried changing the smtp server and was then unable to duplicate the error. I'm sure (I think) that these errors are coming from the Java library and not the smtp server, so changing the smtp server would make no sense. I haven't tried it on the production server yet because my system send a lot of mail and I need a proper smtp account, working on it. I have one runtime client who uses their own Exchange server. No problems there.

Any thoughts or knowledge would be appreciated.
V8.8
MySQL, AWS EC2, S3
PDFtk Toolkit
Jaymer

Re: Having intermittent email send failures

Post by Jaymer »

since we can log to a file, and not just that output window, add a LOG2 yourNotif.ReplyTo to permanently output that field to the log.
Just to see if it looks fine when you catch it failing.

what if there's more than 1 ReplyTo in that list/string that you assign to the Notif.ReplyTo... the 1st one is valid, and the NEXT one (which isn't supposed to be there) is messed up?
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
kklosson

Post by kklosson »

Nice thoughts. In every notification, the ReplyTo is an expression like <<LoggedInInvestigator.EmailAddress>>
V8.8
MySQL, AWS EC2, S3
PDFtk Toolkit
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

Another thing to try is googling the exact Java error. If this is a Java library problem, you will most likely find others having logged it + potentially find cause/solution.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

kklosson wrote:Nice thoughts. In every notification, the ReplyTo is an expression like <<LoggedInInvestigator.EmailAddress>>
The tag convertion thing may be failing as the error is something with a <. If you can reproduce, try sending directly to an email instead of a tag.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)