Transferring data between test / production machines

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
tford

Transferring data between test / production machines

Post by tford »

More recently, I've begun to have test data on my laptop. Previously I was using a server for both production & testing purposes. My database is MySql and I use Navicat as a database tool.

Prior to allowing each BSV to have their own database, it was much more complicated to more data between production & test. Here are the steps I do now:

1- Do backup of production MySQL database on the server with Navicat.
2- Copy the backup file from the server to my laptop's Navicat backups folder.
3- Restore the backup file to my laptop's MySQL instance
4- Use Navicat's Data Transfer function to copy the restored tables to the TEST database of the same business space.
5- Copy the MAXID value from bas_idgen table on the basdb table on the server's production database.
6- Paste MAXID from #5 to bas_idgen table of the both basdb and basdbtest tables on laptop

Eventually I hope to use the Data Transfer tool in #4 above to make this process even simpler, but at the moment there are some access issues with doing that.

BTW, Navicat allows you to use the same license for both a production server and a personal laptop.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres