Calculated AND Required?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
tford

Calculated AND Required?

Post by tford »

Currently in the Configuration Tool, when defining a BO Attribute, if you check "Calculated", the "Required" box disappears.

In the case of attributes I'm populating ONLY in a CREATE statement where I ALWAYS want this attribute present in the record being created, it seems that both "Calculated" and "Required" apply.

Does this make sense to others before I recommend to support?
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
tford

Re: Calculated AND Required?

Post by tford »

To clarify .. I want this type of attribute to NOT have the ability to be changed on an input form (therefore "Calculated") AND I want the system to force this attribute to be included in any new records added via CREATE (therefore "Required").
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
PointsWell

Re: Calculated AND Required?

Post by PointsWell »

Required has a UI impact putting a red asterisk next to the field. If a user cannot edit the field the red asterisk would be misleading as they'd try to enter data in a field that is locked.

Presumably the calculated field is populated by a business rule, in which case this will run when the BO is being saved which will populate the attribute unless you create with the NO RULES NO VALIDATIONS flags set which will override the required flag anyway.

If the attribute is not populated by a business rule at the point of creation but rather some input from a process then you could enforce its required status by adding a business rule - but in this instance I don't see how An end user would be able to create a BO.