Selecting parent object in child form via dropdown

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
ckirnbauer

Selecting parent object in child form via dropdown

Post by ckirnbauer »

Hello,

I have a object member and payment, that is a multiple allowed child.

For convenience and mass editing purposes, I created a object helppayment (with the same attributes as payment, but with peer-to-peer relationship to parent member), where member is selected via dropdown and then other values are edited, too.
The problem is, that I don't see these helppayment objects under the members, for there is a peer-to-peer relationship between member and helppayment.

So I created a process to copy the data from the helppayment object to the payment object, so that the relationship between member and payment was established.

FIND ALL helppayments
CREATE payment FOR EACH helppayment WITH payment.member = helppayment.member, payment.amount = helppayment.amount ... and so on.

Questions:

1) Is there a better and faster method for a child object (payment) with selecting the parent (member) via drop down and establish a relationship between these 2 objects?
2) This process above has to be started manually, can I trigger this process when the helppayment object is saved?
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

> The problem is, that I don't see these helppayment objects under the members, for there is a peer-to-peer relationship between member and helppayment.
The peer-peer or owner-owned relationship type has nothing to do with the ability to display related objects on the other object form. It is perfectly possible to display a list of related objects on an object form when the relationship is peer-peer. The only difference between the relationship types is that with the owner-owned type the system automatically deletes the owned objects when the owner object is deleted.

1) Is there a better and faster method for a child object (payment) with selecting the parent (member) via drop down and establish a relationship between these 2 objects?
You can just start entering a new child object and select the parent from a dropdown on the child form. When you click Create button on the form the link will be created automatically by the system.

2) This process above has to be started manually, can I trigger this process when the helppayment object is saved?
Yes, by the following rule on object helppayment:

If helppayment IS NEW Then CREATE payment WITH payment.member = helppayment.member ...
Aware IM Support Team