DropDown list, other values allowed

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
ckirnbauer

DropDown list, other values allowed

Post by ckirnbauer »

Hello,

there is the option 'other values allowed' for a plaintext field, if I enter hardcoded values.

If my attribute is a reference attribute and the drop down elements are queried from a business object, the option ''other values allowed' is missing. Is there no way that a new value for the drop down box is handled automatically?

Do I have to manage the drop down values manually in a own form?

Kind regards, Christian
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

When a reference is displayed as a drop down Aware IM always shows ALL existing instances of the referred object (unless you define a filter). To add another value to the list you just add another instance of the object and it will automatically appear in the list.

Therefore, such option is defined "implicitly" - if the user interface allows creating instances of the referred object, then this option is on, otherwise - it's off.
Aware IM Support Team
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

In version 2.2 there is an option to create new entries for reference attributes represented as a dropdown. The small button is displayed next to the drop down. Clicking on this button allows entering new entries that will then automatically appear in the dropdown.
Aware IM Support Team
osrisd

Post by osrisd »

Hi,

And this causes a problem when importing BSV's from versions prior to version 2.2, where this option was not available.

Version 2.2 sets this value to true by default ie the checkbox for 'Generate "Add New Item" Button' is ticked, causing all forms where the ref attr was displayed using the drop down option, to now have functionality to add new values (even on view forms). More ever this is implemented by adding this checkbox value to each form individually (via attribute layout on the form) using this reference object, not via the presentation dialog for the reference object from the BO attributes panel. This therefore requires each form to be updated to remove this functionality, which was not there in the first place.

I would suggest any new functionality in a new version is defaulted to 'No', when importing bsv's created from a previous version. This would ensure there is no additional effort required to update/patch a working application when moving from one version to another.

Regards
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

You are right, thanks for letting us know.
Aware IM Support Team