EXEC_STRING Question

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
PointsWell

EXEC_STRING Question

Post by PointsWell »

I have a bunch of international addresses.

I can let the user key it all into one text field and they can then be responsible for international formats. Downside I lose visibility of things like Country and City from a systems point of view.

I can alternatively specify the various components of an address. Upside City and Country are visible. Downside is that it is hard to generate a letter with the address formatted.

My idea was to parse the address into a text block that the user doesn't see but gets used by queries etc.

My plan was to parse these in a field on the Country reference data and use EXEC_STRING and it works quite well except I don't seem to be able to use conditional statements in there. For example not all addresses might have a Line2, so if you just build up the block text as

Code: Select all

Address.Block=Address.Line1+CR()+Address.Line2+CR()+Address.City+' '+Address.PostCode+CR()+Address.Country
If Address.Line2 is blank then you get a blank line, because you can't put an IF statement to check it's blank.
I could buy a plug in that does address parsing, but the cost of that was prohibitive (~$10k). Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to loop in conditional statements and EXEC_STRING?

The solution would need to be relatively straightforward - ie encapsulatable in a repeatable format which is why EXEC_STRING looked attractive.
PointsWell

Re: EXEC_STRING Question

Post by PointsWell »

Ha! I was going to use the AddressBlock attribute to then show a custom query and just display the AddressBlock but CR() != <br>

So I get my trimming, and no blank lines, but also get no lines just one line... Damn HTML and CR incompatibilities.

So my plan to 'fix' this I thought a second field AddressBlockHTML and using REPLACE_PATTERN to remove the \r\n and replace it with <br>. And so today disappeared down that hole.

What is the correct format to remove \r\n from the text? Ideally multiples which would fix the blank lines issue
BobK

Post by BobK »

PointsWell wrote:What is the correct format to remove \r\n from the text? Ideally multiples which would fix the blank lines issue
On a Windows system using MySQL the following worked:
BO.Attr2=REPLACE_PATTERN(BO.Attr1, '\x0A', '<br>')
Bob
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

BobK wrote:
PointsWell wrote:What is the correct format to remove \r\n from the text? Ideally multiples which would fix the blank lines issue
On a Windows system using MySQL the following worked:
BO.Attr2=REPLACE_PATTERN(BO.Attr1, '\x0A', '<br>')
That doesn't work either. I'm using Mac and build 2720.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Try REPLACE_PATTERN (Obj.Attr, CR(), "<br>")
Aware IM Support Team
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

aware_support wrote:Try REPLACE_PATTERN (Obj.Attr, CR(), "<br>")
The issue is that REPLACE_PATTERN and EXEC_STRING will not co-exist in a BO rule.

Have had to separate out everything to a process called by the BO Rule instead.
Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 13.41.58.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 13.41.58.png (16.16 KiB) Viewed 5364 times