Stop Inline Editing from adding new record when tabbing

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
BLOMASKY

Stop Inline Editing from adding new record when tabbing

Post by BLOMASKY »

I thought the following script in a grid would stop adding a new row when the user tabs out of the last field in a grid with inline editing, but alas, it does not seem to work.

config.edit = function(e) {
if (e.model.isNew()) {
debugger;
var grid = e..sender;
grid.cancelChanges();
}
}

I tried the:
parser.m_doNotAddNewOnTab=true

which DOES stop adding a new row, but then, the record is not saved and on the last row, the cursor will tab through all of the columns on the grid (instead of just the editable ones that works on all other rows. This change of behavior will confuse my users.

Just like all of the other rows, I need the record saved when the user tabs out of the last editable field in a grid row.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Bruce
Jaymer

Prevent Add New Row when inline editing a Grid

Post by Jaymer »

From Support

In render script of a query:

parser.m_doNotAddNewOnTab = false;
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
BLOMASKY

Re: Stop Inline Editing from adding new record when tabbing

Post by BLOMASKY »

have you tried it. What happens is that the cursor does not leave the row, but now tabs into EVERY column,
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

Oopsy
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

parser.m_doNotAddNewOnTab=true;

This works fine in our tests. Looking at the code I cannot see how this change can affect which columns are editable or not. Please double check.
Aware IM Support Team
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

It does NOT allow me to EDIT additional columns, but the when tabbing in the last editable column of the last row, the cursor will go into all of the other non-editable columns in this row. This behavior is very different from previous rows where the tabbing will only have the cursor enter the 2 editable columns and never enter the 10 other display only columns. This behavior would offer an inconsistent user interface to my customers.

Bruce
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

I cannot see how this is possible. Would you be able to prepare and send us a small testing BSV that demonstrates the problem?
Aware IM Support Team
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

OK, you got it.

Create at least 2 records in test file, then run the query, col 2 and 3 are editable, click on col 2 on 1st row, tab it goes to col 3, tab again and it goes to the next row. When you reach the last row, when you tab out of field 3, it goes to field 4, then field 5, etc.

Bruce
Attachments
TestInline.bsv.zip
(37.63 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

I don't see a big problem with this behavior - it does kind of move focus to next fields, but it doesn't allow editing them.
In any event it is very hard to change this, so the only workaround is to make sure that the last column in the query is editable.
Aware IM Support Team
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

I never said it allowed editing, but the behavior is inconsistent for my end users. They know that when they tab the cursor only goes to the 2 editable fields. Except on the last row. This was a simple demo I sent you. In the real one, there are buttons that the user tabs into. A much larger grid.

However, if you can not fix / change this, then I guess I will have to live with it. In an ideal world, when tabbing out of the last editable field on the grid, it would save the record (which it no longer does, have to have a button to save the record JUST for the last row), and perhaps go back to the 1st editable field.

Bruce