Changing ID gen to BIGINT(19)

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
rocketman

Changing ID gen to BIGINT(19)

Post by rocketman »

Anybody know what would happen long term if I changed BAS_IDGEN to BIGINT(19) (This in MySQL)

Also - I use a lot of Non Persistent objects o hold transient data, do these increment the IDGEN count?
Rocketman

V8.7 Developer Edition. Server 2016 Standard edition. MySql 5.5
BobK

Re: Changing ID gen to BIGINT(19)

Post by BobK »

rocketman wrote:Anybody know what would happen long term if I changed BAS_IDGEN to BIGINT(19) (This in MySQL)
In a test environment I did increase the size of BAS_IDGEN and also the size of the ID for my test BO. Everything worked good as long as the ID number was below whatever the current maximum is. But Aware must have an internal check to see if BAS_IDGEN is at the maximum. When I manually set BAS_IDGEN to 1 less then the current maximum and then tried to create a couple of new BO objects I got an error even though the new number would have fit in the ID with the increased size.

rocketman wrote:Also - I use a lot of Non Persistent objects o hold transient data, do these increment the IDGEN count?
Just guessing on this one, but I do not think Non Persistent objects increment the IDGEN count.
Bob
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Hmmm Thanks Bob,

Does beg the question - what happens to our apps when we hit the max.

Support?
Rocketman

Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

If you live that long until your sequence number got up to a Bajillion, then you could make it start down at a negative Bajillion - it will work its way back to zero in another 10 years
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Yeah you're probably right. I think I mis-read my numbers just before I asked the question . I'm at 3 million out of a possible total of 2 billion (signed INT(11) ) after 9 years , so I guess it should outlive me :lol:
Rocketman

BobK

Post by BobK »

Jaymer wrote:If you live that long until your sequence number got up to a Bajillion, then you could make it start down at a negative Bajillion - it will work its way back to zero in another 10 years
Jaymer,

Setting the sequence number to a negative number is an interesting idea, have you tested that?
Bob
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

Its not that I saw the sequence operate with negative #s, but I was fudging some IDs on some test data in SQL, and accidentally some went below 0.
System worked fine.
Aware & Kendo apparently didn't care.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL