Strategy for duplicating form data during data entry?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Jaymer

Strategy for duplicating form data during data entry?

Post by Jaymer »

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to accomplish this.
If I need to do a lot of data entry, where several fields needed to duplicate from form to form, what’s an innovative way of doing that?
Maybe a set statement?
But where to store that data in between records? Create a big field in regular user?
Thanks
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
Jaymer

Re: Strategy for duplicating form data during data entry?

Post by Jaymer »

I'm thinking about building a new User BO with extra columns just for Inventory.
I can create a few of these "Inventory" users just for Inventory maint. and not daily logins.

In this BO, I could make many fields which are mirrors of my main Inventory BO - including the references.
(This is because if I added all these fields/references to a "real" user, then all throughout day to day operations, those extra references would be retrieved unnecessarily.)

And then, somehow, I can store values in these fields after an Inventory record is created.
And IF INVENTORY IS NEW AND Manufacturer IS UNDEFINED, for example, I can load the prior record's Manufacturer to the Form, thus populating it with a default value.
hmmm, but there's already a place for a default value on a field (which, btw, doesn't get assigned ONLY when the record is new - you could have a table full of records, and then go set a Default value in the BSV, and then if that record is updated, the Default value will populate) and that value can be set to a field or function...

hmmm, what if ANOTHER "Template" Inventory BO exists... and it has 10 of these "important" fields we'd like to copy.
What if when a Inventory record is created (and I'm in this "help me with Default values mode") it saves the values out to this "mirror" table. Into 1 record tied to my UserID.
Then, if a Rule fires ON NEW, I run a Process which populates the current record with the saved default values?
No extra fields in my User record - so no extra nasty overhead.
Since we found out what happens when a Process is called with a "passed in" BO (it reads it from the DB), I'm not sure what happens here because the record is New and I haven't even entered it yet.
So, if that doesn't work, I could
CREATE Inventory
LOAD_Defaults
VIEW Inventory USING 'Default Mode Entry'

This would work because the record is def. there after the CREATE.
Gonna give this a try.

I also have a need for this because the app requires an ability to receive "multiple" similar items - Where several details are the same, but item needs a unique serial # entered.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL