DISCUSS: Aware as a great Document Mgmt System. Possible?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Jaymer

DISCUSS: Aware as a great Document Mgmt System. Possible?

Post by Jaymer »

(This may go nowhere since I'm posting on "Ghost Town" Friday)...

If you read everything on the Forum (like I do), there have been quite a few recent mentions about Editing Documents in Aware.
Zoho Editing works great, but can get pricey. A Recent WISH LIST Item talked about integration with OnlyOffice. From the Portugal conference, I've seen the "Funeral App" from Codrin's brother Jake where many things, including the default file upload widget has been CSS Stylized to be much improved and more friendly.

So while the topic is HOT, I thought I'd start this thread. I myself have an opportunity to bid on a project where hundreds of thousands of docs are involved and we need a full team editing/rights/tracking/collaboration system.

So I'd like to focus attention here in this thread solely on discussing cool things you've done with Aware in this arena (hopefully samples & pics!!!) AND improvements that are needed.

For example, the post about OnlyOffice sounded great - but was still over my head. I see I can use a "Community" edition free for 20 connections - ok, great. But What/How/Why is integration with Aware needed? What are the benefits? How does it make it better?
Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 2.08.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 2.08.58 AM.png (28.98 KiB) Viewed 4828 times
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
PointsWell

Re: DISCUSS: Aware as a great Document Mgmt System. Possible

Post by PointsWell »

OnlyOffice is three different things depending on what you buy and implement.

It is at its most basic a replacement for MS Office which is downloadable or you can set up a server to be run as an office portal managing your email or at its most grandiose it is a full on DMS.
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

For example, the post about OnlyOffice sounded great - but was still over my head. I see I can use a "Community" edition free for 20 connections - ok, great. But What/How/Why is integration with Aware needed? What are the benefits? How does it make it better?
1. Its 20 simultaneous connections, if you have more than this and want to get serious then extend to a paid version. (provide 20 users for free and charge extra per user for the feature or build a queuing mechanism)

2. By running your own Only Office Server Community version (could run on the same machine as your AwareIM server)you have more security and control over the process. Also for critical document management or document process, you are guaranteed the availability of the service and don't have to contend with changes that could happen on the Zoho side.

3. I have a problem in bringing/promoting ZoHo in my application space.

4. They have a developers version with API, so if you want to get deep into a document management system then there is opportunity, but the standard community version should suffice

5. Being able to set up an AwareIM document attribute and point it to your own Only Office server in the same way as the ZoHo interface has been done in AIM is all that's needed.
This together with the Aim Document filestore option presents opportunities for further application creativity

6. Being able to create a WORD or Excel file from within AwareIM and then dynamically store the finished content in AwareIm provides
a very powerful free hand report writing tool as opposed to the crappy text editor. Also, the end result of the changed or created document is guaranteed to be stored inside your app .

7. There is a white label option, so branding to make it look like its part of your offering is possible.

8. This is how its better : https://www.onlyoffice.com/blog/2018/10 ... zoho-docs/
ddumas

Post by ddumas »

Google Document Vaults

There are several, and are far more advanced then ZOHO. Some offer REST API

Dave