2020 Aware IM Developers International Conference

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
customaware

Re: 2020 Aware IM Developers International Conference

Post by customaware »

Hey guys..... Not a slap in the face to me.

If you guys want to organise and hold it in the USA instead of me organising and holding elsewhere... Terrific.

I would certainly try hard to attend. 24 hours travel time is common place so no bother to me. Even Mongolia to Australia is usually a 24 hour magic carpet ride.
Cheers,
Mark
rob_h7

Post by rob_h7 »

Jaymer wrote: I'd fully expect Vlad to attend.
You paying for him?

Jaymer wrote: Would be nice to find an influx of new/potential users - some group that could be marketed to that would have an interest in coming to a product rollout... something that wouldn't happen if it was overseas.
If it's in Bali it's a lot more likely to have an influx of users from the Asia Pacific region....or don't they count?

It's also a lot easier for the Asia based users to get Visas to travel to (a few were turned back from the US / European conference).

I'm all for Bali Mark, only issue with the dates is Bali is in wet season then, so there might be a few evening soakings. I think it ends about April.
Rob . Aware 8.4 (build 2718), Developer Edition, using Linux, MYSQL
customaware

Post by customaware »

I was just in Bali on those exact same dates this year in the same hotel. The weather was gorgeous.
Mind you, compared to Mongolia, it rains all the time in Indo.
At least it is still hot enough to swim in the rain. :-D

January is actually the best time for me for a whole range of reasons. Not in the least is that in Mogolia it is usually -30c to -40c at that time so good to get some vitamin D
Cheers,
Mark
rob_h7

Post by rob_h7 »

Yep fair enough - it's summer holidays here on those dates so most of the Australian based AwareIM users will probably be in Bali anyways!
UnionSystems

Post by UnionSystems »

We'll fly anywhere to attend Mark's excellent AwareIM Conference (and highly recommend the event to anyone using AwareIM).

The effort of taking a longish flight is trivial compared to all the work Mark donates to organising these events!

January is absolutely the perfect time for most Australians as work demands reduce while most of the country takes holidays. We'll come to Bali but Japan or Korea is also a great option in January :
  1. Shortish flight for Vlad and other Aussies
  2. Japan is a great place to visit
  3. No rain but plenty of snow if you like skiing :-)
AWS Linux, Windows Server, AIM 8.4 & 8.6
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

Rob, I have no idea how many people would attend US - and we'd have to leave it up to those attending to contribute $ toward Vlad's appearance/T&E, etc.. So, who knows the future?
No one has any idea of his business interests/opportunities in the US - so maybe the stars align.
We first have to see how many people want to link up in 6 months or so here.
Has nothing to do with "do Asians 'count' or not" - but if there's enough interest here, then why not? 11 months is a long way off - and if a new version is hitting in 3-4 months... well?
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

rob_h7 wrote:
Jaymer wrote: Would be nice to find an influx of new/potential users - some group that could be marketed to that would have an interest in coming to a product rollout... something that wouldn't happen if it was overseas.
If it's in Bali it's a lot more likely to have an influx of users from the Asia Pacific region....or don't they count?
Its kinda like soccer... with a country as big as the US, we do a piss poor job fielding a decent National team.
I said it "would be nice"... yes, depending on new features of Aware, sure would be nice to have something that elevated it to the next level (user-wise)... something that would attract a segment of developers that would adopt & help grow Aware.
thats good for everyone, right? (Of course, we don't know Vlad's desire OR plans for growth.)
A US meeting should have nothing to do with if there is or is not a non-US conference halfway around the world.

Some user base out there that could adopt Aware [in the US] would be a great marketing reason to have the conference, roll-out, dog & pony show, etc. IF NOT THIS YEAR, then MAYBE NEXT.
Sure, thats prolly not going to happen, but the market share here certainly has room to grow.

As an aside, Instant Developer (InDe) only has 12 developers here in the US (might be 13 now). They are from Italy.
Their SOLE UK developer is in another group I'm in... yes, only 1 person in the UK using that tool.
But they have hundreds of developers in Italy - a massive footprint there in hundreds of development houses cranking out massive apps, desktop & mobile... in a country 1/30 the size of the US.
As good as Aware is, there surely should be enough people to support a US meeting.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
rob_h7

Post by rob_h7 »

Jaymer wrote:Its kinda like soccer... with a country as big as the US, we do a piss poor job fielding a decent National team

Your women's team is pretty good.
Jaymer wrote:Would be nice to find an influx of new/potential users - some group that could be marketed to that would have an interest in coming to a product rollout... something that wouldn't happen if it was overseas.

I took that to mean other markets didn't count - if that isn't what you meant, all good.

If you can get people to actually turn up - more power to you. Small regional meet ups wouldn't be a bad thing.