Proper handling of Tall Controls on Forms.The time HAS come!

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Jaymer

Proper handling of Tall Controls on Forms.The time HAS come!

Post by Jaymer »

I'm posting this here as I bet it will get some traction, and didn't want to clutter the Wish List thread with a drawn-out discussion. but this is my latest Wish List item posted here.

Since monitors are getting "wider", it seems to me the fact that Aware Forms are row-based (I think support labeled it as this in a post long ago) might need to be re-visited.

here's why...

When dealing with monitor sizes 1600+ pixels wide, you see many times now a popup window that comes up VERY WIDE, even though it may have a little info in it.
(NOTE: next release has improvements to specify popup sizes)
Or if you have a simple form, with basic contact info, you only need 600-800 pixels of Form Width, or else your form looks very odd cause its so wide.
And here too, you can Set a Form Width.
And also a Separator is your friend cause you can specify a width and then put a reference Grid inside it so it doesn't stretch all the way across the screen (when that happens, its like sitting in the front rows in a theater - you actually have to move your head to see data at both ends of the grid).

Also, I recently commented to someone that after Google's tabs, URL bar, Booksmarks Bar, THEN
Aware's Top Menu Bar, banner, and initial VP Tabs, THEN
A Form which has multiple sections (tabs) and a Top Panel Toolbar (for Panel Operations), THEN FINALLY
I get to my rows of transaction history for a customer.
Any by now, 40% of my vertical space is gone before I get to data.
BUT
There's plenty of space to the right.

So I've found myself wanting a mechanism where I can have Form Fields in a Column and Scrolling data grid to the right.
Proper Tall Controls, as its been said before in other threads.
AND, HTML fields screw the hell outta row alignment of regular form fields, causing unappealing & uneven visual spacing when you need some HTML fields for buttons, etc. to the right of Form fields.

Sure, if you wanted to put all HTML buttons on 1 line, left to right, then it would be easier. But when you need to add a button up top logically placed next to some grouped fields, then you're screwed cause adding Columns really screws stuff up bad. Sure, its better than it used to be, but the config tool isn't 95% when it comes to making even semi-intricate layouts. (I'm not knocking the tool just to be mean. Its just a fact. You can do a lot, but get too ambitious and you mess up your form.)

So, now that we've recovered from Importing HTML Forms (still waiting to find someone who does this) and drawing Diagrams of our tables, is it time to invest in a new screen designing paradigm to get us to the next level?

Support isn't sitting back watching Barcelona play footy all day - there's some cool 'chit' coming in 8.4!!! Some VERY useful, QOL things.
Just interested in seeing how others feel about whats important concerning the next generation of forms.
Last edited by Jaymer on Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
Jaymer

another example

Post by Jaymer »

Almost everytime I do a form now, it seems I have tons of wasted space.
I did this form, and is was... OK. But it would be nice to group the Customer fields (like I have done) and ALSO have 2 more groups to the right (drawn in).
But we can't do that right now. Thats the point of this thread - to push the tool.
Even without doing 3 Separator Groups, Its still a hassle to do this kind of "wide" layout because of columns, esp. when I want to add in an HTML button next to a field.

Example, the 1st field. Is a ps_Cust, and I'm using the "Allow Add" function to Add a new cust.
But whats an easy way to allow a "zoom" or popup to show some Customer Details on the screen?
Suppose the user wants to see the Customer Address to verify this is the right Customer.
If you want a nice little Icon to the right of the "+", you have to do some funky JS/Jquery to "inject" some ::After custom code (ie. show an icon and call an aware function when the icon is clicked on).
OR _ You have to Insert columns and make a tiny column at the end of the field and then you can put a HTML button there.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

sorry, my image from prior post did not upload. here it is
Attachments
wide screen.PNG
wide screen.PNG (49.76 KiB) Viewed 3233 times

Jaymer