Link to BO:s main or default form from child BO

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Rem

Link to BO:s main or default form from child BO

Post by Rem »

We have a question that I first thought was easy, maybe it is and we have missed something:

We have a customer system with jobs.

We have different Querys for all kind of jobs, not started, in progress, finished and so on.

So we made the jobs in the Querys klickable, so when you klick a job you open the main form. Now we would like an easy way to transport the user from this form to the customer of that job.

We have managed to make a button which calls a process and send the user to the right BO and form. This approach seems a bit overkill ...

It would seems much more neat to just have a shortcut that would be clickable link or something.

Anyone knows an easy approach?
Regards
Rune

Jaymer

Re: Link to BO:s main or default form from child BO

Post by Jaymer »

I can at least say this:
If you are editing a Job which is related to a Customer, OR
You are viewing a Grid of Jobs, THEN
any EDIT OBJECT or VIEW OBJECT command that you can attach to a Button will EDIT OR VIEW the JOB, not the CUST.
(this is what you have found, no doubt)

A Job can be related to a Customer, a Sales Rep, a Territory, a Plant Location, etc etc.
So what "easier" automatic way can Aware know of when you want to see details about one of those Relations?

Yes, it might seem "over kill" or "extra work" to have to go make a Process with 1 line in it - and you may never use this process anywhere else.
But doing in a process also allows you to add intelligence to:
* Check a value before going to the form. Maybe Display a MESSAGE first (like "Account is past due"),
* Based on the logged in user, EDIT Customer USING (a specific Form based on user, or Customer type, or anything)

So, its not that much work to do it via Process. Spend the 30 seconds and some day you'll actually take advantage of some Logic in the Process.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
Jaymer

Re: Link to BO:s main or default form from child BO

Post by Jaymer »

You say you have multiple Queries for diff. Job Status - do they all show the same (or almost the same) Columns?
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL