[RESOLVED BUILD 3011] Apps Look Different Depending on Browser.

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
PointsWell

[RESOLVED BUILD 3011] Apps Look Different Depending on Browser.

Post by PointsWell »

RESOLVED BUILD 3011

Your app looks different depending on the browser.
Safari
Safari
Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 12.00.33.png (10.23 KiB) Viewed 6047 times
Firefox
Firefox
Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 12.02.31.png (9.83 KiB) Viewed 6047 times
This is by design. Does anyone else have a problem with browser specific layouts?

The fix is to find everywhere that you've used groups and then apply custom CSS.
Last edited by PointsWell on Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
idpSteve

Re: Apps Look Different Depending on Browser.

Post by idpSteve »

Haven't really come across this before, but I'd think you might be able to use "appearance" attributes to fix this..

https://css-tricks.com/almanac/properties/a/appearance/

I, unfortunately, can't explain much more as I don't know much about this, but I think it would be worth investigating.

Good luck!
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

The difference only applies to group boxes in a Safari browser, which unfortunately, doesn't allow styling of the <legend> element. You can try styling it yourself in a custom CSS.
Aware IM Support Team
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

aware_support wrote:The difference only applies to group boxes in a Safari browser, which unfortunately, doesn't allow styling of the <legend> element. You can try styling it yourself in a custom CSS.
If I change the User Agent on Safari the group boxes style exactly the same as Chrome and Firefox, it does not seem to be a limitation of the Safari / webkit engine.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

It definitely is. We have gone through this in detail.
Aware IM Support Team
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

aware_support wrote:It definitely is. We have gone through this in detail.
It is hard to give a response to such little detail.

Empirically, the safari browser when the User Agent is set to something other than Safari, displays the group box in a consistent manner to the other browsers.

User Agent Refresh In Action

Obviously I don't know what other styling fails as I am only using the default functionality but if Aware is going to take a fragmentary approach to how applications will work in different browsers then, personally, I feel that this is a retrograde route to take.

Unless you are developing for a limited and controlled set of users where you know what the browser it going to be then you have to assume that ~⅓ of your users in USA, Australia and UK are getting a different experience. If the fix to that is "use CSS" then surely that should be the embedded solution.