How many Communication driven apps can we host on 1 server?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
bondicoffee

How many Communication driven apps can we host on 1 server?

Post by bondicoffee »

Hi,

I would like to know how many communication driven apps can we host on a single server ie, applications which entail sending emails, receiving emails, API CRUD operations. The reason I am asking is, AwareIm server is getting clogged when there are too many communication requests.

Secondly, is there a way to distribute Communication requests per AwareIm server? Can we as users add load balancer or add any Queue mechanism in AwareIm server?

Thanks in advance !
aware_support

Re: How many Communication driven apps can we host on 1 serv

Post by aware_support »

It is impossible to say how many apps a server can handle - it depends on the apps. It's like asking how many Java applications a server can handle.

You CAN distribute the load by getting several application servers to connect to the same database. You need to purchase a license for each additional server. As far as load balancing is concerned, you can use a third party solution - for example, Amazon load balancer.
Aware IM Support Team
customaware

Post by customaware »

Would love to see a Step by Step How To example for that Support.
Cheers,
Mark
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

There is nothing to document really. You just install Aware IM on another server and change database connection settings to point to the same database. (We need to setup licensing to work in this environment - so you need to talk to us about licensing first).

You then need to get some of your users to login to the new server, rather than the old one.
Aware IM Support Team
tford

Post by tford »

There is nothing to document really. You just install Aware IM on another server and change database connection settings to point to the same database. (We need to setup licensing to work in this environment - so you need to talk to us about licensing first).

You then need to get some of your users to login to the new server, rather than the old one.
Even though the steps are simple, there ARE steps to follow ... so a SIMPLE step-by-step could help users know how easy it is to balance the load with Aware IM.

Just a thought.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
bondicoffee

Post by bondicoffee »

We got too many requests on JMS port. AwareIm server stops responding. We get JMS Exception as a result of this.

This is telling us AwareIm has scalability issues. How do we overcome the scalability issue?

The issue means we can't add more customers to unutilized server just because the communication port is jammed.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Please provide more data on this.

1. How can there be "too many requests" on a port? TCP ports are used everywhere - all network communication goes through ports.
2. What exactly is the error message you are getting from JMS?
3. What makes you think that Aware IM stops responding because "there are too many requests" on the port?

And if a port does become overloaded - that's when you add another server as explained above. This is how you scale up.
Aware IM Support Team
idpSteve

Post by idpSteve »

Are you using port 9000 as 'Login port'? We had an issue where randomly users wouldn't be able to log in to our applications. While unable to log in scheduled processes ran as normal. Changing Login port from 9000 to 9003 fixed that. Maybe give it a try! ;)

P.S. This started happening out of the blue, we didn't install anything new, or change our user numbers or anything like that. I'm not sure if something else was competing for that port (maybe something from a windows update, or something done by our hosting provider) but it has been completely resolved by changing that port number.
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

We got too many requests on JMS port. AwareIm server stops responding. We get JMS Exception as a result of this.
Use Netstat to view the activity on the port and sniff out the culprit, It will tell which IP address is connecting to the JMS port
Are you using port 9000 as 'Login port'? We had an issue where randomly users wouldn't be able to log in to our applications. While unable to log in scheduled processes ran as normal. Changing Login port from 9000 to 9003 fixed that.
if another app uses port 9000 for a brief moment AwareIm will refuse a new login connection and have to be reset. Netstat is good for sniffing out bad behaviour on ports, also if port 9000 is not locked down, an external malicious scum bag source could be at work
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

bondicoffee wrote:We got too many requests on JMS port. AwareIm server stops responding. We get JMS Exception as a result of this.
This seems unclear to me.
What does it mean "stops responding"?
... to a user trying to login?
... to a click inside the Aware app?
... to a REST incoming call?

I'm not clear on how Aware handles incoming REST requests, for example. Can it do more than 1 request at a time? If you call an exposed Aware REST service, and it takes 1000ms to handle that request, does it block (and queue) other requests that are coming in? or is it multi-threaded? Can it get backed up many seconds cause its servicing other things?

And I've never understood the port 9000 thing. Whats that used for?
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
chris29

Post by chris29 »

Have you looked at using the JMS settings available in BASServer.props

EG:

JMS_BROKER_MEMORY
JMS_BROKER_STORAGE
JMS_BROKER_TEMP_USAGE

Support added these for us when we had issues with large documents in our app. Currently we use JMS_BROKER_MEMORY=1000000000, the default is to small.
Version 8.5 - Windows using MySql 8 and SQL Server - 64bit
bondicoffee

Post by bondicoffee »

Hi,

Thank you chris29 for your response. I feel , this will help us to fix scalability issues.

Can you please guide us, what is the default value for these three params --
JMS_BROKER_MEMORY
JMS_BROKER_STORAGE
JMS_BROKER_TEMP_USAGE

and how much should be value for these parameters?
Rennur

Post by Rennur »

Have you added the Java memory params in AwareIM/CP/eclipse/CP.ini?
https://wiki.eclipse.org/FAQ_How_do_I_i ... Eclipse%3F

e.g.
-vmargs
-Xms 512m
-Xmx 3200m
-XX:PermSize=256m
-XX:MaxPermSize=256m
chris29

Post by chris29 »

Current just using

JMS_BROKER_MEMORY=1000000000

This solve the problem.

The others you could try

JMS_BROKER_STORAGE=200000000
JMS_BROKER_TEMP_USAGE=200000000

Also as suggested by Rennur look at your memory allocation, we currently have Aware at 25gig, Tomcat at 10gig.

Lastly what is your thread count, have found anything above 120 aware is extremely slow and will eventually cause a JMS out of memory error.
Version 8.5 - Windows using MySql 8 and SQL Server - 64bit
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

Rennur wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:26 am Have you added the Java memory params in AwareIM/CP/eclipse/CP.ini?
https://wiki.eclipse.org/FAQ_How_do_I_i ... Eclipse%3F
Mario,
I wonder why you are referring to Control Panel/Eclipse memory changes here, when the OP was talking about runtime issues? Wouldn't this just affect the Config Tool (which is in Eclipse)?

What about these lines in startupoptions.props:
AWAREIM_SERVER_STARTUP=..\\JDK\\bin\\java -Xmx2000m -Xms20m -classpath ../lib/*;../CustomJars/* c<snip>...
TOMCAT_STARTUP=..\\JDK\\bin\\java -Xmx2000m -classpath ../Tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar;../Tomcat/bin/tomca <snip>...

This says "Aware Server" so wouldn't that control runtime RAM?

Thx for your insights!
Jaymer...
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL