Slow email

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
BenchmarkDan

Slow email

Post by BenchmarkDan »

Close to going live with my first reasonably large AwareIM project. Got email on exchange server working with project.
Looking good, except having a problem with sending email - 10 to 15 seconds-sometimes longer for a single email. Emails are simple - most always directed to one recipient.
Output logs show no issue. Same issue if exchange is replaced with gmail.

Regards, Dan
Dan

Re: Slow email

Post by aware_support »

Please check with your email provider. This is unlikely to be an Aware IM issue.
Aware IM Support Team
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

Hey Dan, have a look at this thread.
It was some stuff that I went through a year ago with Slow email - this probably isn’t related to your issue, but it may give you some debugging tips etc.

https://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic ... ilit=+Slow
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
BenchmarkDan

Post by BenchmarkDan »

Hi and thanks for the replies

1) Vlad - I don’t see how it can be an issue with an email provider. I have tried a MS Exchange Server, and 2 different Gmail accounts. Those have nothing to do with each other, yet I get the same results - a 12-second LAG from the time I press the “Send Email” button in my grid, to the time the spinner goes away and the user can continue.
Certainly it can’t take that long to send 1 email.

2) Jaymer, your post was very informative.
Unfortunately, I AM doing this on Upcloud as well.
So it seems I have found the same Aware BUG that you came across - even though that was over a year ago! Were you able to overcome this issue?

Dan
Dan

Post by Jaymer »

HEY Dan
This delay was unacceptable to the customer, and we made excuses for it for about a month.
Then, some design issues happened and we switched to Mandril (or something similar) to track emails.
Since that had to use REST, it bypassed Aware Email totally.

Vlad said the same thing back then I believe - that it couldnt be Aware's fault.
As you see, I kinda begged for help from the community and made it REALLY SIMPLE for others to try and see if they had the same issue - 5 minutes of work using the default CRM and you can prove this issue happens on other Upcloud servers.

Have you done the 5-minute CRM mods to see if this really is the same issue?
That would be at least two people on upcloud servers who have the same weird Aware behavior.
jaymer...
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
BenchmarkDan

Post by BenchmarkDan »

Jaymer,

Installed CRM, changed email settings. Same results - I get a 12-15 second spinner.
Dan

Post by tford »

Have you tried the CRM anywhere else but UpCloud?
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
BenchmarkDan

Post by BenchmarkDan »

Hi Tom,

No I haven't. I get your point. But, hoping the issue might be resolved short of that.
Dan

Post by Jaymer »

I just spun up a new AWS web server - pain in the ass if you haven't done it in a while.
Biggest part is trying to allow IE to let you download Chrome - they don't make it easy. LOL

Followed my instructions in the other post - installed 8.2 bld 2574,
no SQL, defaults
installed CRM
Made the changes
Entered GMAIL email settings (exact same account info as on Upcloud systems)

SENT Email immediately with no spinner (well, only a flicker)

You can repeat this exact routine on Upcloud and there will be a problem

So you tell me, why is something in Aware's system incompatible with Windows 2012 R2 on Upcloud, but not AWS, or a desktop PC

Jaymer
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

I run mailenable on my server (free community version) and can send about 200 unique personalised standard (no attachments) emails in 12 seconds

Once a year, we send out membership renewal letters by email which are personalised mail merged WORD documents attached to a personalised email. Admittedly these go out via a scheduled overnight process when the server is idling , but my mailenable logs tell me it still only takes about a minute.

So - unlikely to be AIM's issue
Rocketman

V8.7 Developer Edition. Server 2016 Standard edition. MySql 5.5
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

rocketman wrote:I run mailenable on my server (free community version) and can send about 200 unique personalised standard (no attachments) emails in 12 seconds
So - unlikely to be AIM's issue
Are you using Aware's SEND notification TO intelligent_BO_instance
to execute the email?

And I don't dispute that it should be quick - its just not quick on Upcloud, even though its the same Windows 2012 R2 server as a AWS instance.
Same version of Aware. Same Demo CRM app. Same settings on both platforms.
Yes, something is holding it up - don't know if you picked this up out of the posts, but we can turn on the Logging window and out last statement is DISPLAY MESSAGE 'Sent', and even though the Log shows that the SEND xxxx TO xxxxx has happened, AND the DISPLAY MESSAGE has happened, "Sent" doesn't appear on the screen until after the spinner goes away 15 seconds after clicking the Send button.

What we're trying to figure out is whats hanging in Aware causing the spinner to stay on the screen even though it appears the process has completed.
Happens on Upcloud, with and without their Firewall, with Derby and MSSQL, and with MULTIPLE Email providers.

Jaymer
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Yes I do, (SEND to INTELLIGENT BSV)

Call me old fashioned but I've always stuck with dedicated servers with full root access so I've no experience with Upcloud.

I suppose this just goes to show how little I know about the flow mechanism for mail in and out of AIM. We create mail, We press send, AIM sends it to the designated SMTP server. Does it then wait for a callback to say it's been received? - Dunno - but maybe that's where the delay comes in

The only other things I can come up with (and it happened to me a few years ago,) is a bad sender reputation. The previous user of the IP address I inherited when upgrading servers had a reputation as a spammer. I had to use MXTools to check which blacklists I was on and take the necessary steps to get removed. I even found that 1and1 themselves were blacklisted on one list and had to report it to them. So maybe Upcloud themselves are the problem.

Might be worth Dan spinning up an AWS instance for a few hours, install a demo AIM and load up his project and test. Looks like you've already done it with CRM but there's nothing like creating a like for like scenario for proving a point. If the identical bsv using identical mail services works on AWS but not on Upcloud then the issue has to be with Upcloud hasn't it? .

Hope this helps
Rocketman

V8.7 Developer Edition. Server 2016 Standard edition. MySql 5.5
intra

Post by intra »

Are you using standard SMTP (port 25) to do the relay?
Avid Linux user....
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

rocketman wrote:.
Might be worth Dan spinning up an AWS instance for a few hours, install a demo AIM and load up his project and test. Looks like you've already done it with CRM but there's nothing like creating a like for like scenario for proving a point. If the identical bsv using identical mail services works on AWS but not on Upcloud then the issue has to be with Upcloud hasn't it? .
Yes, that’s what we have just done. There’s no reason to test it with his application, when we can get everybody’s CRM to do it.
So we have done this exactly and proved once again, a year later, that it is fast on AWS, and not Upcloud.

It is not an issue with black listing, although that’s a good idea.
We have used a private Microsoft exchange server on Dan’s application.
And we have use Google and a local cable company.

Jaymer
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

intra wrote:Are you using standard SMTP (port 25) to do the relay?
Since we are using SMTP.Gmail.com as in the online Google documentation, we are using port 587. Same exact settings on upcloud are slow, and work fast on AWS, or your local PC.

Jaymer