No way to Copy Visual Perspective

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
BLOMASKY

No way to Copy Visual Perspective

Post by BLOMASKY »

Besides missing my mind, I am missing this ability. I have a custom layout (a complex, custom layout) and I need to duplicate it with a minor change to one panel. Where is the Copy / Paste Option?

Bruce
himanshu

Re: No way to Copy Visual Perspective

Post by himanshu »

You need to right click on the one VP which you want to copy.
VP
VP
aim_vp2019-06-06_21-23-17.jpg (22.66 KiB) Viewed 12407 times
screenshot on version 8.1
From,
Himanshu Jain

AwareIM Consultant (since version 4.0)
DB: MYSQL, MSSQL
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

My Bad. I didn't phrase my question well. I want to copy one LAYOUT in a VP. Can that be done?

Bruce
customaware

Post by customaware »

You can use the Copy and Paste icons in the Toolbar Bruce
Cheers,
Mark
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

eagles9999 wrote:You can use the Copy and Paste icons in the Toolbar Bruce
One challenge I have found with copy and pasting items is that some things reset. For example if you have Import as a menu item and uncheck all the BOs that you can import, then copy and paste that to another VP then the checkboxes all get checked again. Minor niggle when you have 10 BOs a major PITA when you have 150, because there is no check / uncheck all function.
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

I also use the copy/pastr layout and is ok but have some quirks. I would also like the option to copy a whole VP.

I have thought about doing some XMP export > edit > import to "add" copy functions I miss but who knows what can (s) of worms thst might open up 8)
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

when I use the copy / paste icons it copies the entire VP and I get a new one with a '1' appended to the end.. I am not smart enough to copy just one layout.

Bruce
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

bruce, you're correct. thats all you can do.
its IS annoying that when you need a VP, usually the worst thing to do is make a new one - because you have to go through it to delete all the "default" crap (banner, standard menu, etc.) thats in there.
If you copy another one, then at least you still have your look and feel in the menu system that you've done.

In your case, the way you do MyVPs and have many layouts, you're kinda SOL.
If I absolutely HAD TO, I would export/edit/import (as hp mentioned).

I think one thing that some devs don't realize... lets say you copy your Admin VP to a new VP for a new function in your app. In my case, I'd be tempted to change visibility on some content panels "just in case" I want to use something from them - since, you can't get them back via copy/paste. Even though you make them invisible, they still get processed and can generate run time errors in the server/tomcat output. And, I believe (unless this has been changed) that you can see hints of each content panel/tab in Aware's <DIV> tags when inspecting the DOM. Even though you may put 1=0 in Visibilty/Applicability of a content panel, Aware doesn't really know thats a "constant", so it doesn't really know if a condition will occur where it will pop into visibility, so the Panel is out there "underneath" the visible panels. Which means its carrying bloat and code for something you'll NEVER use - its only there cause you duplicated a VP and turned Visibility OFF for convenience.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

Jaymer, my use of multiple layouts has nothing to do with SQL. I am sure everyone has a bunch of DISPLAY LAYOUT "XXX" FROM_VP VPName.

This is one of the more powerful features of Aware to have multiple panels (forms, queries, html) displayed on 1 page. And While some are very complex, it would be nice to be able to re-use one layout without copying the entire VP.

Bruce
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

BLOMASKY wrote:Jaymer, my use of multiple layouts has nothing to do with SQL. I am sure everyone has a bunch of DISPLAY LAYOUT "XXX" FROM_VP VPName.

This is one of the more powerful features of Aware to have multiple panels (forms, queries, html) displayed on 1 page. And While some are very complex, it would be nice to be able to re-use one layout without copying the entire VP.

Bruce
This is possible Bruce. If you open up a VP you have the list of frames, open up a frame so you see the container for content panels i.e 1 layout. In the top toolbar of the VP settings (not config tool top bar operations), you have the copy and paste buttons you can use to copy just 1 container/layout. Press copy and then place the cursor on the root of the frame and click paste.

On a sidenote, I also learned something new today, it´s possible to copy entire VP´s which I have missed in the past.

Good weekend all
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

hpl123 wrote:
BLOMASKY wrote:Jaymer, my use of multiple layouts has nothing to do with SQL. I am sure everyone has a bunch of DISPLAY LAYOUT "XXX" FROM_VP VPName.

Bruce
This is possible Bruce. If you open up a VP you have the list of frames, open up a frame so you see the container for content panels i.e 1 layout. In the top toolbar of the VP settings (not config tool top bar operations), you have the copy and paste buttons you can use to copy just 1 container/layout. Press copy and then place the cursor on the root of the frame and click paste.

PS: This is the only way I work as well using layouts and I have them all over the place for all "pages" of my apps. Nothing beats it in my view so more "options" in this area would be nice (not sure what that would be though).

On a sidenote, I also learned something new today, it´s possible to copy entire VP´s which I have missed in the past.

Good weekend all
kklosson

Post by kklosson »

There are a few tree items that don't seem to work correctly when copying and pasting items. Copy your VP, then close all open tabs. Viola! Paste is available. Needs fixin', I think.
V8.8
MySQL, AWS EC2, S3
PDFtk Toolkit