Shared or global business rules

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Platinum_ar

Shared or global business rules

Post by Platinum_ar »

Is it possible to create a shared business rule in AwareIM? From what I know, it's not so I would like to ask you, how you work around this problem?

For example, let's take w very basic customer requirement which is a change log in an app with 20 BO.
After 15th BO I realized that I need to adjust my business rule... so I had to start again.

In a current RAD tool we use, there are Custom Functions which can be built from basic functions.
Thus, it's easy to modify CF definition at any moment.

Maybe I should create an SQL trigger, SQL procedure or a custom function library.
I can think of a handful of examples like this, where a "global" business rule would be a nice time saver.
tford

Re: Shared or global business rules

Post by tford »

A BO group might work.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
craigd

Post by craigd »

It actually would be super convenient if you could write rules against the BO-Group. Naturally these rules would apply to all BOs in the group.

Right now, when we have BOs in a group, and we write a rule for one of those BOs we get this jumbo dialog box asking how we want to sync the rules. Miss this once (or get it wrong) and you've got a mess with your rules ; you don't know what got updated, or what's correct.

But if we had rules directly on the BO-group then we would know exactly which rules applied to ALL BOs in the group, and which rules were unique to the BO. And we wouldn't have any shocking dialog boxes about sync-this, or sync-that.

The same request would apply to BO attributes vs BO-group attributes. (I'm not on the system right now so I don't remember what's actually showing up when you visit a BO-group)

(add this to the 'more' for 8.3, :D )
customaware

Post by customaware »

You cannot create BO Rules against the BOG but I was sure you could use the BOG name as the BO Name in Processes. Not near a computer so have not tested.
Cheers,
Mark
swiftinitpvtltd

Post by swiftinitpvtltd »

This will be great for any SAAS multi tenant solutions where you want to access global service across multiple clients- for example payviapaypal service accessed across clients or something very commonly needed across all clients etc.
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

craigd wrote:But if we had rules directly on the BO-group then we would know exactly which rules applied to ALL BOs in the group, and which rules were unique to the BO. And we wouldn't have any shocking dialog boxes about sync-this, or sync-that.

(add this to the 'more' for 8.3, :D )
This would be nice and less redundant.
eagles9999 wrote:You cannot create BO Rules against the BOG but I was sure you could use the BOG name as the BO Name in Processes. Not near a computer so have not tested.
You are correct - BOG act as a BO when you are creating Queries and Processes
Platinum_ar

Post by Platinum_ar »

Thanks for the tip with BOG. I wasn't aware that you can use BOG as a BO in processes and queries.

Regarding my problem, I think It should be possible to define a "snippet" or an alias to a code that would be evaluated from the context of current BO. Simple placeholder (variable) like "BO" could be available to symbolize context dependent BO.

Create a universal rule like this:
Name: ProtectWhenClosed
IF BO.status WAS CHANGED TO 'Closed' THEN PROTECT BO FROM ALL

Use it in a rule of any BO like this:
RULE ( ProtectWhenClosed )
tford

Post by tford »

You cannot create BO Rules against the BOG but I was sure you could use the BOG name as the BO Name in Processes. Not near a computer so have not tested.
Yes, you are correct Mark. That's the direction I was headed to as a potential solution to creating change logs which was the original use case of this post. I just didn't have time to go into a longer explanation.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres