Duplicate Invoice

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
BobK

Re: Duplicate Invoice

Post by BobK »

Markfre1 wrote:Just using a sequential # is really easy; except not in the case of Multi-tenant with one BSV. I need to auto-increment by tenant
Sounds like you are unaware of the following from the User Guide:

Auto-increment within a group of object instances
Sometimes it may be necessary to increment numbers within a “group” of instances. For
example, you may want to have invoice numbers automatically incremented for
customers from different countries. Every country may have its own group of numbers.
In this case you select this option and then select the attribute of the object that identifies
a “group”, for example Country.
Bob
Markfre1

Post by Markfre1 »

Bob, actually you are correct and I was aware of that but forgot.

But I could not use Auto Increment because when you do so, it makes it a calculated field, which is non-editable. In my case, they need to have both, auto-increment with an override option. The only way I could do it, is with managing the last invoice # by tenant. Bumping that up and if used, go to the next one.

If you have a way to auto-increment and let the user override as well, please let me know. I'd feel better about letting AIM manage it. I spent quite a bit of time with Vladimir dealing with this issue as there was no simple solution. He thought I should just use the auto increment and why should the user be able to override it. In our C/S app, users do override and the other account apps allow for this as well.

If you know of a way of using auto-increment by group and allowing an override, let me know. But as of now, this seems to work well. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks, Mark F.
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

Have you considered a combined approach?

Two fields
One auto incremented
One manual

Manual field is updated with the auto increment Invoice Number on the initialisation. Then a rule to change the auto increment value if the manual Invoice Number was changed.

Have not tested this so not sure how it will interact with the Auto Inc functionality.

IT could also potentially get you round the sequential numbers - you can have gaps in the sequence as long as it is always incrementing.
Markfre1

Post by Markfre1 »

Actually, when I was working with Vladimir on this issue, he suggested 2 fields as well. He was saying Invoice # and Reference # with one auto-increment. But when we were talking I was thinking he meant two fields on the screen and thought that would be confusing and discounted it.

But in reading your post and thinking more clearly, this approach may be the best if it works. Make the Invoice # with auto increment hidden and assign it to the ref # (which says Invoice # on the screen) If the user enters in an Invoice # that exists, it would display an error message.

However, if the next auto increment # is 100, and the user previously entered in a 100, I have to make sure it will auto-increment to 101. Same thing with recurring invoices, if I use auto-increment, and it hits a batch of used invoice #'s it has to auto increment until it gets to the next open one.

This will take a little testing and it seems like I would still have to put the code in to bump up when exists. Need to check out the group auto increment by tenant. I have to see if this adds efficiency and is a better lockdown method. or not.

It would be nice to just use auto-increment by tenant and not have to deal with this, but from past experience, we have customers who enter in Invoice #'s.

When I get a chance I will test this.

Thanks, Mark F