Export and Import

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
KnightWare

Export and Import

Post by KnightWare »

Trying to Import BO's from Parent down thru Child/Grandchild relations from out TEST system to Seed the Production system (Initial Data). I've Exported the three tables with ID's & Relationships. Can't seem to get a handle on how to import with the ID's so that New ID's are NOT generated.
KnightWare

Re: Export and Import

Post by KnightWare »

Let me ask this another way.
How do you Export from a Parent / Child / Grandchild relationship ( From your TEST project) to populate (Import) into your Production? I can't figure out how to import using the ID's from TEST records, Imports create their own ID's.

I exported my Parent from test and import to Production. It created NEW ID's. I used a relationship field to import the Children. That worked. I can't figure out the Grandchildren because the relation ship to Child is a many to one (Many children with same name). I need to relate to a name attribute from both the child above and parent above that.

Oh yes. That made things MUCH clearer. :D
idpSteve

Post by idpSteve »

What database are you using? I generally get a SQL guy at the office to sort this out for me,. If you use MS SQL he can probably assist.
tford

Post by tford »

I can't figure out the Grandchildren because the relationship to Child is a many to one (Many children with same name). I need to relate to a name attribute from both the child above and parent above that.
Are you saying you want to create a reference link:
1)from each Grandchild to one Child
2) and also from the Grandchild in #1 to the Parent of the Child from #1
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
KnightWare

Post by KnightWare »

Each Parent has Multiple Children. Each child has Multiple children.
Parent = Property.
Child = Suite(s).
Grandchild = Tenant.

I want to setup Import templates to do the work. But having trouble understanding the references and how I should do so.
nhofkes

Post by nhofkes »

Last night I wanted to export data from the test database and import it into the production database, but found no way that I can export to a CSV file that has both the IDs and the Relationships. The Export command provides for a number of Export options, two of them being "Export ID's" and "Export Relationships" but when I check both of those options, the result is a csv file that has neither IDs nor Relationship references. If I check one of those options but not the other, I get the csv file with either the ID or the Relationship (depending on the selected option of course).

It seems to me that this is not the way the Export command is supposed to work.

I also got various error messages during my many attempts to import the data, but when I then tried to view the import log all I got was a blank window.
It may be worth mentioning that the data was not at all complicated, just two BOs (House and Owner) where each House has a reference to only one Owner. Now some may be inclined to note that I could have done this migration by copying the tables directly in sql, which may be true, but my point is that there seems to be some problems with this Export command (and perhaps with the Import command).
Niels
(V9.0 build 3241 - MariaDB - Windows)