8.3 New Years Wish List - please add to list

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
customaware

Re: 8.3 New Years Wish List - please add to list

Post by customaware »

intra wrote:Another one while i remember.

The ability to add comments in sections that have textual input.

either by having a "//" or "<#" & "#>" as boundary for programmer notes.
Yes.... add as many actions as you want in Processes or Rules with the line starting as //Comments......

Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please,
Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please!!!
Cheers,
Mark
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

intra wrote:
Another one while i remember.

This is SUCH an important feature that still hasn't made into the AwareIM. It's very basic isnt it and yet it still fails to appear?

I started a project in December, had many interruptions and now trying to resume my thought process with great difficulty. If I had the option to comment my rules I could carry on where I left off with ease using the comments to orientate myself with. Using this discipline will further enhance the multi-developer feature. It goes hand in hand and is a must for any serious developer. PLEASE
weblike

Post by weblike »

A small one:
Until 8.0 -> in Visual Perspectives ->Left->Menu->Standard Menu -> we were able to define html Header&Footer.
I'd love that this to come back in 8.3
Selection_377.png
Selection_377.png (79.38 KiB) Viewed 14907 times
Thx,
George
DB: MySql 5.6.42
swiftinitpvtltd

Post by swiftinitpvtltd »

Few predefined cool themes with great color combinations for eye catching UI! This is needed for dress to impress at-least.
The form designer needs better alignment/adding custom controls features like-toolbox-add multiple controls just like visual studio/other tools.
The import form is fine but toolbox is needed.
More Predefined actions-
swiftinitpvtltd

Post by swiftinitpvtltd »

eagles9999 wrote:
intra wrote:Another one while i remember.

Yes.... add as many actions as you want in Processes or Rules with the line starting as //Comments......

Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please,
Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please!!!
This is really needed for large scale/multiple developers projects.
Arnold

Post by Arnold »

If I were to add to the New Year Wish List - it would be the things discussed in these two forum threads:

1. Database Identity and External Database Strategy Changes
https://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10873

2. Runtime configuration based on saved database setting or user event
https://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic ... ion#p49442

If a specific write-up is needed here I can provide that otherwise I will refer back to those forums threads.

Thanks - Arnold
RLJB

Post by RLJB »

An oldie but a goodie... still the 2nd most common ticket from users....

can we please have an "anchor point" on long (ie vertically high) forms, so if the user Saves (or initiates a save by changing an attribute) then the form refreshes and returns the user to the same place they were on the form, therefore they don't have to scroll down again (and/or get disorientated regarding where they are).
Rod. Aware 8.6 (latest build), Developer Edition, on OS Linux (Ubuntu) using GUI hosted on AWS EC2, MYSQL on AWS RDS
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

Besides really wanting to use database Identity fields for primary key, I am pretty darn happy with the feature set in Aware...

BUT

I would love to have lots of stuff "cleaned up" and made more "flexible"

1). Popup Forms should have more controls on when they close, and ability to have a popup open another popup

2). Less reliance on CSS / HTML for customizing the UI. Aware's biggest feature is the speed of development / maintenance. More options in properties windows for size, color, font, alignment would speed up building a better looking UP. The more config options you give us, the less coding we have to do.

3). SPEED! Just like in top-gun, "I have the need for speed". I end up re-engineering a lot of the db updates, inserts in SQL because with Aware working with only 1 row at a time, when I have a CREATE NEWBO FOR EACH ... and there are 20+ records in the FOR EACH, that means 20+ separate insert statements. Perhaps this would require a major rewrite of the underlying engine to make each BO a Java object. Not sure

4). Since Aware uses JDBC, we should be able to use ANY JDBC database (Postgress anyone?) as native, 1st class citizens in Aware

5). More communications on when new bug-fixes, versions are released. How about a new forum section where they are posted.

Bruce
customaware

Post by customaware »

Talking about new releases...

2571 has been released with some nice fixes.
Cheers,
Mark
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

BLOMASKY wrote: 5). More communications on when new bug-fixes, versions are released. How about a new forum section where they are posted.
Many github issue tracking systems have a bug # & discussion thread. Then a fix specifically addresses a bug #.
This item, for example, means nothing to me:
From a previous changelog
2. Expressions in labels of the settings of a new tab are properly handled

I have no idea what that means
I have no idea what it fixed
I have no idea how this helps me do something "cool" in the future

There's no context, no discussion.
1 developer out there discovered something, turned it in to Vlad and it got fixed! Yea! But what does that mean for the rest of us?
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
customaware

Post by customaware »

That was mine and it is now fixed..... Very happy
Cheers,
Mark
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

BLOMASKY wrote: 5). More communications on when new bug-fixes, versions are released. How about a new forum section where they are posted.

Bruce
Better management of the update process as a whole - either move all the configuration strings to a separate file that is not overwritten with every update or recognise that the files (eg BASServer.props) has been configured and not overwrite it.
BLOMASKY

How about better message boxes

Post by BLOMASKY »

A quote from one of my favorite movies (Cool Hand Luke!) "What we have here is a failure to communicate!"

and on that note, Aware's communication with users seems to be limited to
Report Error
Display Message

Would be nice to fix ASYNC Display Message to allow multiple ones, when I have a long process, it seems shorter to the end user to have "Step 1 complete...." , "Step 2 complete...", etc.

Also, how about selectable Icons, a TITLE for the message box, ability to style it. Remember, the sizzle sells the steak!

Bruce