Need Help from Win Upcloud users on 8.1 Slow Email test

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Jaymer

Need Help from Win Upcloud users on 8.1 Slow Email test

Post by Jaymer »

<< changed Title of Post - Update at bottom of thread here: https://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic ... 345#p47347 >>

I decided to play with a low-end Upcloud server to see how they were... plus I wanted a test environment for 8.1

I like the server, but when I test ported an app to 8.1 I noticed that OUTGOING EMAIL was slow - like 15 seconds.
In my production environment, emails were fast, but that was ver 8.0
I reported it to Vlad (twice now) and he says it shouldn't be Aware.

Tonight I went back to my Production server and installed the Demo CRM app. Set the Email up, using TLS, thru Google.
Email is Fast.
Tested exact same setting, app, everything on v8.1 UPCLOUD - SLOW
Tested same on v8.1 on a plain server in an office and it was Fast.

So I have to, as of now, conclude that something is causing some internal delay on the Upcloud server.
I know they have an Optional firewall that I've been using - but I disabled it for testing and still slow.

I hope someone could give me an idea of something to check.

PS _ I can send an email through Google GMail API in under a second. This issue seems related to Aware's sending mechanism.
PPS _ Also, I kind think this Header Check error may be causing an extra delay somehow???

Code: Select all

java.util.zip.DataFormatException: incorrect header check
	at java.util.zip.Inflater.inflateBytes(Native Method)
	at java.util.zip.Inflater.inflate(Inflater.java:259)
	at java.util.zip.Inflater.inflate(Inflater.java:280)
	at org.openadaptor.util.compression.ZipUncompress.uncompress(ZipUncompress.java:73)
	at com.bas.shared.data.BinaryResource.unzipResources(BinaryResource.java:267)
	at com.bas.shared.docengines.HtmlEngineClient.readHtmlData(HtmlEngineClient.java:149)
	at com.bas.basserver.iopipes.EmailSink.A(Unknown Source)
	at com.bas.basserver.iopipes.EmailSink.processMessage(Unknown Source)
	at org.openadaptor.adaptor.STPipelineController.processMessage(STPipelineController.java:68)
	at org.openadaptor.adaptor.SimpleController.processMessage(SimpleController.java:1173)
	at org.openadaptor.adaptor.AbstractSimpleSource.processMessage(AbstractSimpleSource.java:403)
	at org.openadaptor.adaptor.AbstractSimpleSource.sourceProcess(AbstractSimpleSource.java:1049)
	at org.openadaptor.adaptor.AbstractSimpleSource.sourceProcess(AbstractSimpleSource.java:1007)
	at com.bas.connectionserver.iopipes.RequestReplySource.sendMessages(RequestReplySource.java:116)
	at com.bas.basserver.channels.ChannelManager.A(Unknown Source)
	at com.bas.basserver.channels.ChannelManager.sendNotifications(Unknown Source)
	at com.bas.basserver.bsmanager.E.A(Unknown Source)
	at com.bas.basserver.bsmanager.D.A(Unknown Source)
	at com.bas.basserver.executionengine.ExecutionEngine.A(Unknown Source)
	at com.bas.basserver.executionengine.ExecutionEngine.handleServiceReplyNotification(Unknown Source)
	at com.bas.basserver.iopipes.ComponentSink.processMessage(Unknown Source)
	at org.openadaptor.adaptor.STPipelineController.processMessage(STPipelineController.java:68)
	at com.bas.openadaptor.NonTransactionalController.processMessage(NonTransactionalController.java:136)
	at org.openadaptor.adaptor.AbstractSimplePipe.processMessage(AbstractSimplePipe.java:222)
	at com.bas.openadaptor.NonTransactionalController.processMessage(NonTransactionalController.java:136)
	at org.openadaptor.adaptor.AbstractSimpleSource.processMessage(AbstractSimpleSource.java:403)
	at org.openadaptor.adaptor.AbstractSimpleSource.sourceProcess(AbstractSimpleSource.java:1049)
	at org.openadaptor.adaptor.AbstractSimpleSource.sourceProcess(AbstractSimpleSource.java:1012)
	at com.bas.openadaptor.MTJMSListener$JMSMessageHandler.run(MTJMSListener.java:275)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
java.util.zip.DataFormatException: incorrect header check
	at java.util.zip.Inflater.inflateBytes(Native Method)
	at java.util.zip.Inflater.inflate(Inflater.java:259)
	at java.util.zip.Inflater.inflate(Inflater.java:280)
	at org.openadaptor.util.compression.ZipUncompress.uncompress(ZipUncompress.java:73)
	at com.bas.shared.data.BinaryResource.unzipResources(BinaryResource.java:267)
	at com.bas.shared.docengines.HtmlEngineClient.readHtmlData(HtmlEngineClient.java:149)
	at com.bas.basserver.iopipes.EmailSink.processMessage(Unknown Source)
	at org.openadaptor.adaptor.SimpleController.processMessage(SimpleController.java:1173)
	at org.openadaptor.adaptor.AbstractSimpleSource.sourceProcess(AbstractSimpleSource.java:1007)
	at com.bas.connectionserver.iopipes.RequestReplySource.sendMessages(RequestReplySource.java:116)
	at com.bas.basserver.channels.ChannelManager.A(Unknown Source)
	at com.bas.basserver.channels.ChannelManager.sendNotifications(Unknown Source)
	at com.bas.basserver.bsmanager.D.A(Unknown Source)
	at com.bas.basserver.executionengine.ExecutionEngine.A(Unknown Source)
	at com.bas.basserver.executionengine.ExecutionEngine.handleServiceReplyNotification(Unknown Source)
	at com.bas.basserver.iopipes.ComponentSink.processMessage(Unknown Source)
	at org.openadaptor.adaptor.AbstractSimplePipe.processMessage(AbstractSimplePipe.java:222)
	at org.openadaptor.adaptor.AbstractSimpleSource.sourceProcess(AbstractSimpleSource.java:1012)
	at com.bas.openadaptor.MTJMSListener$JMSMessageHandler.run(MTJMSListener.java:275)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Last edited by Jaymer on Mon May 28, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
tford

Re: Slow outgoing Email on Upcloud. Need ideas plz

Post by tford »

I have no idea how to interpret the links, but if you google "java.util.zip.DataFormatException: incorrect header check", you will find some articles.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
cishpix

Post by cishpix »

Jaymer wrote:So I have to, as of now, conclude that something is causing some internal delay on the Upcloud server.
Hi Jaymer, I don't think the issue on UpCloud, but maybe on your AwareIM. As my experience when built a mail server in Linux on UpCloud (of course with AwareIM server running together in one machine). It was fast when I test sent out an email from the mail server to Gmail account. (test it from outlook)

I didn't face any issue like your when test sent out an email from AwareIM that running in Linux. I use an email account from the mail server and sent to GMail account. (I use a BSV sample from George (weblike user) http://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 147#p40972)

sShot-070..png
sShot-070..png (29.59 KiB) Viewed 18028 times
Jaymer wrote:I know they have an Optional firewall that I've been using - but I disabled it for testing and still slow.
FYI, I didn't use UpCloud firewall but Linux firewall.
Regards,

Suwandy
-----------------
Kisaran - Indonesia
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

guys, thx for the tips. as Ben Hayat would say... "I'm Triggered"

NO SOLUTION YET, but lots to report, so lets get to it.

1) George's program was a pain in the ass. It imported into v8.1 with the Password field as a VARBINARY(8000) field - that same system file in my regular apps has it as a VARCHAR(100)
Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 1.41.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 1.41.43 PM.png (20.05 KiB) Viewed 18007 times
So, it makes this error:
Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 10.06.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 10.06.02 AM.png (13.61 KiB) Viewed 18007 times
I dropped and recreated the table with it as VARCHAR(35), but Aware didn't like it.
You're prevented from editing the fields in that object...
Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 1.43.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 1.43.43 PM.png (39.41 KiB) Viewed 18007 times

So, i wasted a shitload of time trying to make this work, and then had to just make another OutgoingEmailAccount BO, which then worked 1st time.
(continued)
Last edited by Jaymer on Fri May 25, 2018 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

so, with trying to use an EmailAccount record (instead of System Settings, because thats what I'm doing in my real app) being a dead end initially, I actually used System Settings to setup my Google SMTP server. I got the same "delay" that I'd been getting before. So I went back to get OutgoinEmailAccount working and once I did, thats what my test results are based on - AND the video.
Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 2.49.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 2.49.47 PM.png (50.88 KiB) Viewed 18007 times
There's 2 things to see from this image:
1) the 1st 3 outgoing emails have a delay in them, because that sample program brought up a picklist, then sent the email.
But I was kinda timing it and it was 10 seconds PER email.

2) After my test, that "unsent" email stuff kicked in - sending many emails from earlier tests that were Queue when I couldn't log into Google cause of the varbinary(8000) issue.
You can see in the Timestamp in the front, they went out EVERY 10 SECONDS - matching the delay I'd seen earlier.

This is what would happen if I needed to send a notice to all customers in my database - 10 SECONDS EACH.

But this didn't happen for Suwandy on Unix, and didn't look like it would have happened on my 2 other servers.
For some reason, on this Upcloud, Modern, Win2012, SQL Server setup, emails are dragging when using Aware's mechanism.
As I stated before, if I use the GMAIL API to send emails its fast - but you have to encode BASE64 those emails, do more formatting - kinda a pain and for many emails Aware should be fine... but of course not for me :(
STILL TRIGGERED BEN !!!
jaymer...

Jaymer
Jaymer

Video

Post by Jaymer »

A video which shows the spinner staying on the screen for 10 seconds, even though the Email has been sent already.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/10438488@N00/836FQ9

Jaymer
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

Good video Jaymer, and you are right.
1) George's program was a pain in the ass.
Jut curious, what does George's program have anything to do with your app?
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

BenHayat wrote: Jut curious, what does George's program have anything to do with your app?
in the 3rd post, Suwandy mentioned it. Since he used it, I thought it would be a good apples to apples comparison in case others were having any issues.
I think installing the CRM and using System Settings is easiest. Expand a row on Customers and send Email. Easy.

Jaymer
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

Jaymer wrote:
BenHayat wrote: Jut curious, what does George's program have anything to do with your app?
in the 3rd post, Suwandy mentioned it. Since he used it, I thought it would be a good apples to apples comparison in case others were having any issues.
I think installing the CRM and using System Settings is easiest. Expand a row on Customers and send Email. Easy.
Oh yes, I didn't read post 3 all the way that reference his George's BSV.
Jaymer

2nd Video on new Upcloud Server

Post by Jaymer »

I spun up a new Upcloud Win 2012 server.
Plain jane Vanilla.
No SSL
No SQL Server
No Firewall

Installed Chrome, then Aware
Adjusted Memory settings.
Restarted and Created Sample CRM App.

SAME SLOW EMAIL SENDING as before - shown in video.
Incorrect header check error in Console Logs

Short Video ---> https://www.flickr.com/gp/10438488@N00/eNk14a

I also changed this to use a local Spectrum (cable company) smtp server, in case Google was doing something weird. Same thing.
Last edited by Jaymer on Fri May 25, 2018 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jaymer
BenHayat

Re: 2nd Video on new Upcloud Server

Post by BenHayat »

Jaymer wrote:I spun up a new Upcloud Win 2012 server.
Plain jane Vanilla.
No SSL
No SQL Server
No Firewall

Installed Chrome, then Aware
Adjusted Memory settings.
Restarted and Created Sample CRM App.

SAME SLOW EMAIL SENDING as before - shown in video.
Incorrect header check error in Console Logs

Short Video ---> https://www.flickr.com/gp/10438488@N00/eNk14a
Great job on isolating and shrinking case to two parts now. Is it UpCloud or is it Aware 8.1?
If you have a copy of Aware 7.1, install that too and do the same test. The result should help you a lot to see if it is V8.1 or UpCloud.
weblike

Post by weblike »

BenHayat wrote:Good video Jaymer, and you are right.
1) George's program was a pain in the ass.
Jut curious, what does George's program have anything to do with your app?
I'm sorry that I provoked you pain in the back side :)))))...No intention...
Send you a lotion?

In v7.1 this worked for me and for Suwandy too.
Thx,
George
DB: MySql 5.6.42
Jaymer

Re: Slow outgoing Email on Upcloud. Need ideas plz (Video)

Post by Jaymer »

@George - YES, I need lots of lotion - and Medication.
And NO Ben, I don't drink coffee - but some nights after programming I should drink STRONG LIQUOR
(Now I know why Bruce talks so much about drinking - LOL )

I'm thinking - Why Always Me?
How the hell does it import as VarBinary(8000) - and it turns a simple 5 minute test into craziness - If it wasn't 2AM and me heading to bed, I'd go drink something for sure.

Jaymer
Jaymer

Re: Slow outgoing Email on Upcloud. Need ideas plz (Video)

Post by Jaymer »

UPDATE May 28

Vlad doesn't see an issue sending mail with 8.1 on his server, so he can't reproduce.
Since email works on other servers, we're leaning towards some issue with Upcloud.

We need anyone who has UPCLOUD WITH WINDOWS to do an email test using the demo CRM app. 5 minutes is all thats needed.
NOTE:
You have to modify the CRM app to allow access to System Settings to enter OutGoing Email settings. I add a menu to Top Bar.
You also have to modify the SystemSettings FORM to include the TLS field (if needed).
In Runtime, enter Email Settings, then go to Customers tab, expand 1st entry, change email to your email.
Then [New Email] button top/right of her form.
Just enter subject, message, and duration and SAVE.
Spinner should barely appear ( mine stays on for 10 seconds ).

Also check Server Output window - should see a line confirming "Email sent to xxx@xxx".
Did you see Java errors for Incorrect Header Check?
(UPDATE: Vlad has since said the Incorrect Header Check is benign, and can be ignored.)

This issue wouldn't show up if you're using Mandrill, Gmail, etc.

Simple test as describe here: https://www.awareim.com/forum/posting.p ... 45#pr47287
THANKS!!!
Last edited by Jaymer on Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jaymer
Jaymer

Re: Need Help from Win Upcloud users on 8.1 Slow Email test

Post by Jaymer »

No Win users out there.
I may dump Upcloud and go back to AWS this weekend if I can't get this solved.

Jaymer