the NEW Official v8.1 REST thread - examples, services, etc.

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Jaymer

the NEW Official v8.1 REST thread - examples, services, etc.

Post by Jaymer »

Already did this once...
but OAuth was a bit buggy during beta and Vlad has updated to the latest internal framework/spec and it deserves a fresh start.

In the OAuth setup panel, there's a pulldown showing a list of Providers. Salesforce, for example, is on there, but they are compliant to the OAuth spec, so even if they were NOT in the list, you could still connect to them once you knew their URLs, etc. Which means that just because you don't see someone listed, doesn't mean we can't connect.

In this thread we can document experiences in connecting to some of those Providers... to hopefully keep you from banging your head against the wall too much, although there's still plenty of that left to do.

I'll update some Summary Pages at the beginning of this thread so its a starting place to check when you're ready to start playing with the exciting new REST features of Aware.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
Jaymer

Re: the NEW Official v8.1 REST thread - examples, services,

Post by Jaymer »

Existing Providers in the OAuth Pulldown

Google Calendar API (jaymer) - can add event to a calendar
Google GMail API (jaymer) - can send email
Yahoo (jaymer) - trouble getting data. OAuth ok. Getting a null error msgs, although XML has been returned
Pinterest (jaymer) - they don't allow access to their API anymore, except for partners. (reportedly, unconfirmed)
Facebook (vlad) - he showed connectivity at the 8.1 User Conference

Personally, I don't find much use for many of the other providers in the list.
Twitter, Tumblr, etc. - blogs and things I don't have much business use for.
Last edited by Jaymer on Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

New Providers someone has had success (or failure) with.

Jaymer
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

General Notes pertaining to REST operations.

1) The REST Service Definition - a BO of type REST. You generally only need 1 attribute here, as all the work is in the setup screens after clicking REST.

There's really no value in creating the normal Query and Edit forms for this as it can only have 1 record in it.
In the basic REST example, you may see something like this:
IF NOT(EXISTS) REST_Yahoo THEN CREATE REST_Yahoo with REST_Yahoo.name='test'

This ensures that this BO gets populated with the 1 record it needs to operate, keeping you from getting the error item #2 below.
The only thing I dislike about this method, esp. in a multi-user, multi-tenant situation, is that EVERY time anyone goes to do a REST function, this gets checked. It can ONLY have 1 record, and after its there, nothing needs to EVER DELETE IT. So I suggest just using the built-in Standard menu to create a new object and make your 1 record manually and then never have to worry about it again.

2) ERROR MSG: Invalid Service Provider in the following rule: xxx OF xxx
Null Service.png
Null Service.png (35.91 KiB) Viewed 19992 times
This error is generally caused because you forgot to follow step 1 above. Somehow, get a record created in that BO to move past this step.
Last edited by Jaymer on Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jaymer
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

(reserved for future use)

Jaymer
Jaymer

example

Post by Jaymer »

One of the first examples posted was from Pointswell, over in the Tips & Tricks section:
https://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10201

A BSV that works, but if you get an error that data may be truncated when running the API, its because he left the field length at 20 on some of the text fields, and when you retrieve weather like "Sunny" it fits fine... but I once got something like "Light drizzle in the afternoon" (or somesuch) and it crapped out. There's 2 fields to make longer. But you may never run across this, so just go with it.

Jaymer
tford

Post by tford »

Has anyone done any testing with Webhooks from Mandrill, Mail Chimp's transactional email service? Or any other transactional email service? Or any other webhooks?

I have not had time to dive into it yet unfortunately.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

Only webhook I have going is from Twilio. They do a GET picked up by a .WAR service on 8.1 SSL.

And the webhooks/redirects that are part of OAuth from Google & Yahoo work fine - Vlad has a service that goes into listen mode and the callback comes back to Aware so it continues the steps of getting the Auth Token. Works great now.

Jaymer
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

If someone gets a provider that is not in the list working, please share the OAuth settings for it, so that we can include it in the list for the next releases.
Aware IM Support Team
idpSteve

Post by idpSteve »

Good morning all.

So.. I'm going to be starting on microsoft graph rest api as soon as I've installed V8.1 this morning. Any tips/tricks/advice I should know/follow before starting on this? Maybe stuff like what return url to use and such..

Regards,

Steve
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

idpSteve wrote:I'm going to be starting on microsoft graph rest api as soon as I've installed V8.1 this morning. Any tips/tricks/advice I should know/follow before starting on this? Maybe stuff like what return url to use and such..
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/g ... cepts/rest
I read this document... it all makes perfect sense to me NOW.
If you don't really understand it, be ready for some PAIN! I mean, killer PAIN!!! Knock your head into the wall PAIN !!!

I'm heading to the bed, but you should spend several hours on this just to get your feet wet. I could help you over the weekend if you haven't got it working.

There's an important item in Step 2: "This value must correspond to the value of Redirect URI used when registering the app."
You'll have to see if they allow you to use localhost as a redirect. Google does. Yahoo DOES NOT.
So that means you have to have a SSL server to run aware on to get the redirect if they are picky - if you're lucky, they will accept localhost. You won't know until you get to that part of registering on the MS API DEV site.

If this confuses you - go bang your head with a pot or pan from the kitchen and get ready for PAIN!!! If it makes sense, then bully for you!
jaymer... (go All Blacks)

Jaymer
idpSteve

Post by idpSteve »

EDIT: All got sorted. If anyone needs help with Microsoft Graph feel free to message me. Deleted/cleaned up my posts here. Sorry @Jaymer for the mess!
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

Bump for new folk

Jaymer