Calenders Am I missing something simple

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
rocketman

Calenders Am I missing something simple

Post by rocketman »

In V5.9 I have a diary (calendar) system that has worked flawlessly for the past 7 years. I have 4 BO's all members of the Appointments Group. In the calendar, When I click in a empty time slot, a dialog pops up and I can choose the type of B.O I want to create (Simple Appointment, trial lesson, committee meeting etc). When I select my B O, it then uses the correct B.O form to allow me to enter all the attributes for that type of BO.

Moreover When I click on and existing entry, it also knows which form to present me with to edit the entry.

Now - Just upgraded to V8 (thankfully, on a duplicate test server) None of this is working.

Either 1) The upgrade did not happen cleanly or 2) The calendar system has lost so much functionality or 3) I'm (hopefully) missing something simple which you guys or support know how to fix

a) I click on an empty calendar slot, I get no choice of BO's, just a simple mickey mouse form with a Title of "Event" and some basic attributes of the appointment type and I have really no idea which of my 4 BO's its writing to
b) When I enter a trial flight booking (for example) by another means ( a menu option which means I manually have to enter the booking date and time) I've somehow managed to get a correct edit form to appear when I right mouse click an existing entry - but to me this is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. For the past 7 years my customers have gotten used to just clicking on an entry to then be able to edit it. I can't expect them to take a step backward now.

Example In V5.9 I clicked an empty time slot, selected Trial Flight as my B.O. The Trial flight booking creation form appeared (with the start date and Time auto filled in. I select a flight product which holds the required time slot ( 1 or 2 hours) which was then used to auto fill the EndTime

The query is FIND Appointments WHERE Appointments.StartTime IS DEFINED
One of the B.O's in the Appointments group is a B.O called Appointment. With the name being so close to the group name, could this be screwing something in V8
Rocketman

V8.7 Developer Edition. Server 2016 Standard edition. MySql 5.5
Jaymer

Re: Calenders Am I missing something simple

Post by Jaymer »

a) I click on an empty calendar slot, I get no choice of BO's, just a simple mickey mouse form with a Title of "Event" and some basic attributes of the appointment type and I have really no idea which of my 4 BO's its writing to
-------------

I just started using Calendar in v8.
From your description of functionality i said "WOW - how'd you get it to do that"?
... because I get "simple" behavior you describe.

No way to specify a specific form when editing/clicking on an existing event.
I also have TWO BO's in the appointment group. and have never seen an option to choose which one I'm adding to - I figure because I'm running a Query on NOT the group, but a single BO... so I know which BO a new object is created.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
JonP

Post by JonP »

I'm using the calendar in V8 and while I don't have multiple BOs, I think I may be able to point you in the right direction. In your calendar query there is property called "Editing and resources". You will want to select "Use processes" and create processes that serve-up the BOs as you wish.

I believe this feature overrides "Context Menu" within "Display Settings / More..."
v8.1 on Windows 10 / MySQL 5.6 (local), v8.1 on Windows Server 2016 / MySQL 5.6 (server)
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Thanks for the replies JonP. Just about to start another shift on this so will try your suggestions.
Rocketman

rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Here's a quick and dirty video of how my calendar system works in V5.9 versus how it (doesn't) work now.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmlhuKdaEBz0ho9xBYX0XZtVmKgAMA

Apologies for the rant but my entire system - as you will see - depends very heavily on calendars for the management of a general aviation clubs primary resource - which is the airfield and the personnel

Support - If you can assure me it's me being stupid and this functionality is not lost in V8 - I'd be happy to purchase a support ticket, although I'd be disappointed if it was because V8 didn't upgrade cleanly
Rocketman

johntalbott

Post by johntalbott »

My assumption is that the the processes to Create and Edit appointments are not being recognized. You may have to set those up again in v8.
schedulerEditingResources.PNG
schedulerEditingResources.PNG (127.57 KiB) Viewed 23076 times
VocalDay Solutions - Agility - Predictability - Quality

We specialize in enabling business through the innovative use of technology.

AwareIM app with beautiful UI/UX - https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/crfUrrVeB3t
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Yes I saw that but it seems to me that the assumption in V8 is that you will be working on a single B.O which happens to be part of the Appointments group. What doesn't appear to be working is the initial bit that pops up the dialog box to ask which B.O in the group you want to create an entry for. in V5.9 it required no processes to be set up. It asked the question (via they dialog box) "Which B.O" and then automatically used the default create and edit forms for that B.O

The query I use is a query on the group - not an individual B.O

Anyway - I'll be working on it again later tonight and post any findings here
Rocketman

rocketman

Post by rocketman »

OK JonP and JohnTalbot. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction - and right now I'm feeling like a dork.

I created two simple processes a) Enter New Appointments and b) Edit Appointments and entered them in the "Editing and Resources box indicated in your posts. Worked a treat apart from one thing, it doesn't pick up the date and time of the calendar slot I clicked in, so I'm guessing there's a system attribute somewhere that holds this info So I should change the create process to something like Enter New Appointments WITH Appointments.StartTime = [something]

Are all the system variable documented anywhere. I've skimmed the user guide and can't see anything
Rocketman

JonP

Post by JonP »

With my one-BO approach, it grabs the date and time automagically. I was surprised to see that I didn't even have an input value for my AddAppointment process, which just looks like this:

Code: Select all

ENTER NEW Appointment WITH Appointment.Account=LoggedInPerson.Account USING New
VIEW ThisAppointment
You probably don't even need the VIEW statement. I offer a lot of extra options, such as setting-up a meeting itinerary, after entering the basics.

My ViewAppointment process does use Appointment as the input value and just looks like this:

VIEW ThisAppointment USING Main
My wild guess is that you will need:

1) Appointments as the input value for your Add process (or not).
2) A rule with EDIT AppointmentTypeSelector (a non-persistent BO with a selector control for the appointment types).
3) A rule with a series of If/Then statements to generate the correct ENTER NEW statement based on what you get from AppointmentSelector.

You'll probably need a variation on step 3 for your ViewAppointment process.

As far as documentation, my only resource was this video, which left a number of important details out: https://youtu.be/-DllD96nnWw

Good luck and please let us know how you solved it.
v8.1 on Windows 10 / MySQL 5.6 (local), v8.1 on Windows Server 2016 / MySQL 5.6 (server)
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

I watched the video, and it barely mentioned the edit and create processes.
It’s nice to see that there’s a lot more that can be done using those.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
JonP

Post by JonP »

Yeah, that video is frustrating. It's practically a tease. More documentation on the calendar controls is badly needed.
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

JonP wrote:With my one-BO approach, it grabs the date and time automagically.
Wish mine did. I have a Create Process and if I don't init the start/end, they will be blank on the entry form.

PICK FROM CalPickLead
ENTER NEW Appointment WITH 
Appointment.ob_Lead=Lead, 
Appointment.ps_User=LoggedInRegularUser, 
Appointment.Type='Meeting with customer', 
Appointment.Subject='Meeting', 
Appointment.StartTime=TIMESTAMP(CURRENT_DAY_OF_MONTH+1,MONTH(CURRENT_DATE),YEAR(CURRENT_DATE),9,0),
Appointment.EndTime=TIMESTAMP(CURRENT_DAY_OF_MONTH+1,MONTH(CURRENT_DATE),YEAR(CURRENT_DATE),9,30)
USING Main 
 INSERT Appointment IN Lead.om_Appointment  
but it DEFINITELY isn't picking up anything from the calendar cell I clicked on.

On the create task, I have no input context. If I set it to Appointment, then it brings up a Pick for me to select an Appointment row for input.

Jaymer
bwalk

Post by bwalk »

I too am having this issue of not picking up the selected date off the calendar when using the 'Processes' options in the 'Edit Resources' section of the query.
I would like my StartTime to default to this selected (clicked on) date and my EndTime to be the same .
The default 'Popup Edit' works fine but when you change to the 'Process' option is does not.
Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks
bwalk

Post by bwalk »

I too am having this issue of not picking up the selected date off the calendar when using the 'Processes' options in the 'Edit Resources' section of the query.
I would like my StartTime to default to this selected (clicked on) date and my EndTime to be the same .
The default 'Popup Edit' works fine but when you change to the 'Process' option is does not.
Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks
Has anyone figured out the answer to this question? Sorry but I just cannot figure it out. I'll bet someone has.
Thanks
ALW

Post by ALW »

I am having this same issue - did anyone ever figure this out?