Visible/Hidden mechanism for fields

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
ckirnbauer

Visible/Hidden mechanism for fields

Post by ckirnbauer »

Hello,

is it possible, that a user as a member of a non-administrative group is able to access a field when inserting a new dataset, and that the same field is hidden for this user after inserting?
In other words, the user should be able to edit a field the first time, and after that this field is only visible for administrative users.

Kind regards
Christian
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

Christian,

Yes, you have a couple of options. One is to use different forms for entry and editing of the business object (the Configuration Tool allows you to specify whether a form is used for entry or editing or both, and the access levels for which the form should be used). You can place the attribute on the entry form but not on the edit form.

The other is to add a protection rule like the following to the object to hide the attribute when it is not empty:

If MyObject.MyAttribute IS DEFINED Then READ PROTECT MyObject.MyAttribute FROM MyUser
Aware IM Support Team
ckirnbauer

Post by ckirnbauer »

The option where I use different forms for entry and editing doesn't work.
I have a parent object "member" and a child table "creditcard" with a relation. Then I have a process, where I select the member and create the creditcard object for the selected member.

The process consists of a pick-rule, a create-rule and a view-rule.

So, every time I start this process, the editing-form is displayed instead of the creation form.

Where is my mistake?

When I try the second solution (If MyObject.MyAttribute IS DEFINED Then READ PROTECT MyObject.MyAttribute FROM MyUser), a regular user can edit the field but the value isn't stored, although there is no access level defnied.

Regards, Christian
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

Christian,

Make sure the "Creation of business object" box is ticked for the entry form, and the "Editing of business object" box is ticked for the editing form. Your process should have 3 rules like these:

PICK FROM MemberQuery
ENTER NEW CreditCard WITH CreditCard.Member = Member
VIEW CreditCard

The "ENTER NEW" rule should display the entry form and the "VIEW" rule should display the editing form. This is a common design that has been used and tested in a number of applications, and the system displayed the correct form for each step.
Aware IM Support Team
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

The READ PROTECT option can be used as well. The rule should be:

If OLD_VALUE(MyObject.MyAttribute) <> UNDEFINED Then
READ PROTECT MyObject.MyAttribute FROM MyUser
Aware IM Support Team