Numerical Sorting?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
numberz

Numerical Sorting?

Post by numberz »

Hi and thanks in advance.
I have created items for a database. These items have numerous fields, with "Item No'" being the first on left.
How can I make this field be the field that is used for sorting, and in smallest to largest meaning, I want to see item 101, then 102, then 103, etc.
What I'm getting is the numbers as they were created
Regards and thanks,
Harry
Regards and thanks,
Harry Carter
aware_support

Re: Numerical Sorting?

Post by aware_support »

You need to create a query that sorts by this number, for example:

FIND ALL MyObject ORDER BY MyObject.ItemNo ASC
Aware IM Support Team
numberz

Post by numberz »

Thank you.
Can anyone add to this please?
A query where? How
Regards and thanks,
Harry Carter
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

In AwareIM, when you display multiple records in a list (in a row), you use a Query which both selects which records to display (I.E. only customers in Florida, All Items, Backordered items, etc.) and Which columns (fields) to display.

When you right click on Queries and select "New Query" you are presented with a window where you can select which items to display. There are 2 ways to do this, (with 2 tabs displayed) Standard View and Textual View. In both you can control the sort order. In standard view, on the right, is a list of attributes (field) that you can check to sort by. In Textual view, at the end of your "FIND" statement, you enter ORDER BY Table.attribute. i.e. Order By Orders.itemID

Bruce
numberz

Post by numberz »

Bruce, thanks!
So simple and I knew exactly where to go...but I somehow had most of the attributes checked, thinking it was somehow a filter for choosing which columns to allow user to sort.
Again, thank you.
Harry
Regards and thanks,
Harry Carter