How can I see who is using my app?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
BLOMASKY

How can I see who is using my app?

Post by BLOMASKY »

Is there a way to see who is logged onto the system? (Yes, I can have a process update "date logged on" in RegularUser, but I have no way to know when they close the browser (ok, no EASY way!).

Does aware have any process to show me a list of Active Users?

Bruce
T0M

Re: How can I see who is using my app?

Post by T0M »

Aren't people who close their browser automatically logged out on "timeout"?

If the "logout event" does not fire in that case, maybe the following is helpful in getting creative to get stats:

page 129 user guide
The Properties window will show other properties of the business space version:
 Timeout page – a page that the system will display when a browser session times
out. If not specified the default one will be used

page 411
Function: NMB_OF_SESSIONS
Description: Returns the number of time a particular user is logged in the system,
0 is returned if the user is not logged in

Else, piwik (now matomo) is able to give you all stats just like google analytics. Easy, but no idea how/if easy to integrate with aware.
8.2 (Build 2570) | MySQL | Win 2016 | UpCloud | == Arabica && || Robusta
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

i have timeout set to 60 min, since peeps sit at their computer sometimes for a while between using it and they complain they have to re-log on.

Does Aware have any way to give me a list of users and perhaps time of last activity or if they are still alive?

Bruce
intra

Post by intra »

If i remember correctly, you need to adjust the 'timeout' value in the control panel / configuration file and Tomcat configuration file.
Avid Linux user....
RLJB

Post by RLJB »

From our experience the answer is "no"

I'm not sure how you/Aware would define if a User is inactive or just sitting there idle (amazed at the wonder of your app). We set our timeout to 3 hours and still get User complaints about it.
Rod. Aware 8.6 (latest build), Developer Edition, on OS Linux (Ubuntu) using GUI hosted on AWS EC2, MYSQL on AWS RDS
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

"who is using my app?" is vague?
Do you mean I wonder who logged into my SAAS app today (or this week)?, OR
I wonder what users logged in today?, OR
I wonder who is currently in my system right now?

If you are viewing a query, and go to lunch and come back 3 hours later (like Bruce usually does), if your timeout was set to 10 mins, you can see a Log message (if your Logging was on) of Aware getting the Logout notification (and whatever code runs at that point).

I wonder what the mechanism is that Aware uses to activate the timeout?
Like... if its 10 minutes, who initiates the actual timeout...
a) does it happen the next time the users refreshes the screen (I don't think so. he may get a timeout msg, but the Logout Notification has already happened.)
b) does Aware have an internal in-memory table with a timestamp for when this session is void? and if so, then that time gets pushed back each time some traffic happens on that thread. (I think this is YES) -- And, this might be the LIRU table?

I use code (at Login & Logout) to update a Login Status table that looks like this:
(Note, I just logged in to generate this page)
Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 6.43.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 6.43.41 PM.png (54.07 KiB) Viewed 16076 times
This has been around for ages.
The only issue is that as you make longer timeouts, then lots of users appear to be logged in (when they may be out a a long lunch with Bruce).

Now, since Aware has evolved (like now individual users can have diff. Timeout durations), I'd argue that not all things concerning Timeouts and User Monitoring have evolved at the same pace. Perhaps whats needed is an improvement by Vlad to store/make available/save into LIRU,etc., the LAST ACTIVITY TIMESTAMP. While this wouldn't have anything to do with Timeouts, per se, it WOULD help system admins monitor user usage and ultimately "see who is using my app".

If you're trying to see if its OK to publish an update and I wonder how many people will get kicked, then running the User Login Status process AND seeing how many mins IDLE will be of great value.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

the LAST ACTIVITY TIMESTAMP. While this wouldn't have anything to do with Timeouts, per se, it WOULD help system admins monitor user usage and ultimately "see who is using my app".
It's not ideal but it is a half way - I have audit BOs on all my major BOs so when a change is made to the actual BO another AuditBO is created with all the changes. I also add the session ID to it, so while it doesn't help where users are just viewing data, I can see everything done to the system and the login session that they were using when that was made. If you look at that data from the other direction it gives you 'last active’ data (where active is doing something not just reading)
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

Since, when I come back (from my 3 hour lunch with Jaymer...), and I click on a menu option, I get a msg that I have been idle for too long, it seems that aware must store (in LIRU, Memory?) the date/time of last activity. If so, and I can access that, then it would be easy to see any user who showed sign of life in the last "X" minutes.

Would be nice to hear from Vlad if this info is available.

Yes, I do log audits to some MAIN BO's but I have been lazy and have separate audit files for each BO (with different columns that I am interested in), so it would not be pretty to try to combine them to see who has been active in the last "X" minutes.

Bruce
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

, I do log audits to some MAIN BO's but I have been lazy and have separate audit files for each BO (with different columns that I am interested in),
BO Group - you just need the sessionId attached to each log BO
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

Bump for clarification from support. (Hopefully)
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

The CRM sample app has the functionality to determine who is "online". You have to use Login and Logout notifications.
Aware IM Support Team
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

But...but...but.... What about when people DON'T log out and just close the browser?
BobK

Post by BobK »

BLOMASKY wrote:But...but...but.... What about when people DON'T log out and just close the browser?
The rules on the LogoutNotification get executed when the user's session times out. There is even an indicator set if the session timed out.
Bob
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

let me ask the question differently. I have 90 minute timeout. If a user logs on, runs something, then closes the browser 1 min. later, when will I get the logout msg, 89 min from then?

Bruce
BobK

Post by BobK »

BLOMASKY wrote:let me ask the question differently. I have 90 minute timeout. If a user logs on, runs something, then closes the browser 1 min. later, when will I get the logout msg, 89 min from then?

Bruce
If your timeout period is set at 90 minutes, the LogoutNotification rules would fire approximately 90 minutes after the users became inactive.
If you need a more accurate time of when the user became inactive, you could check the IsTimeout indicator on the LogoutNotification and if the user timed out subtract your timeout period from the users logout time.
Bob