If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
#52068 by sabbirehal
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:40 pm
Hi Group,
I am trying to upper case the field value dynamically on the screen to upper case with the option as Dynamic checkbox property in v8.4 but its not doing anything. The UPPERCASE function though converting the value to uppercase after saving the record.
Any idea if the Dynamic checkbox suppose to do the UPPERCASE dynamically on the entry screen or not?

Thanks
Sabbi
#52071 by Jaymer
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:08 pm
dynamic rule gets proccessed immediately to do exactly what you are trying to do.
but i cannot answer (without trying) as I do not have 8.4 installed.

even in 8.3, i cannot be sure that if the field you update is the same field in the rule ( if Name was changed then Name = UPPERCASE(Name) ) that is is refreshed when you tab out of it. normally, ANOTHER field is updated when you tab out of Name - I cannot say I've tried it on the SAME field.
And it may only be a display bug in 8.4

so i cannot help you
sorry
#52082 by sabbirehal
Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:45 pm
Hi Bob,
I am using correct function. Please see the attached picture. Even after tabbing out the field, the value does not convert to upper case. It does change to upper case only after saving the record though.

Thanks
Sabbi
Attachments
upper_case1.jpg
upper_case1.jpg (148.78 KiB) Viewed 3435 times
#52083 by BobK
Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:23 pm
Sabbi,

I never tried it with 3 actions in 1 rule.

Try putting each action in a separate rule.

Note: It has been my experience that this only works when tabbing out of the field into another field. So, it does not work for the last field on the form.
I do not know if that is a bug or feature :)
#52085 by Jaymer
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:25 pm
SOLUTION

ok, this may have been too easy to make the experienced users overlook this

first of all, i tried what you have done, exactly, in 8.3 with same result.
but then I realized the same thing from the FIRST TIME I saw your example (I was in bed and not at kbd) - hey, thats not the way I would have written that.

My rule would have been this: (and this works as expected) (Dynamic, of course)

IF Cust.FName WAS CHANGED THEN
Cust.FName = TO_UPPER_CASE(Cust.FName)

enjoy!
#53583 by Jaymer
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:45 pm
Just had the need to do this in 8.4

Thought it wasn't working at first. As BobK said, it doesn't work (or appear to work) if you dont tab into another enterable field.
Tabbing to a Combo Box/Reference Field WILL NOT redraw the TO_UPPER field and it will still appear lower.
Just seems odd.

makes me wonder if the rule didn't really fire (when tabbing off), OR
if the rule will never fire (if you don't park on another field), OR
if the rule fired, but screen didn't re-display
#53696 by Jaymer
Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:56 am
I like this CSS method a lot more than the Rule.

Note: the CSS method DISPLAYS uppercase, but its still lower (or as entered). its NOT converting the data before it goes to the db.