Which features do you want in the next release?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Rennur

Re: Which features do you want in the next release?

Post by Rennur »

are you saying that INSTEAD of a radio button to 1)parse the result, or 2)store the result string, you want to do both?
Process the webhook as you just discovered that it works, AND ALSO save the entire JSON result?
Yes, keep the current functionality and add the ability to store the whole JSON payload in a separate specified attribute.
hpl123

Bring back drag and drop between queries

Post by hpl123 »

Another thing I would really like is if you could bring back drag and drop between queries so it works in the same way as it once did. This is something that was promised a return a long time ago and has not been implemented back yet and is IMO something a modern, state of the art webapp should have.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
BobK

Post by BobK »

aware_support wrote:About webhooks. It seems to me that you can do it now using the Aware IM REST functionality and exposing services.

But maybe I am missing something here? If so, what am I missing?
I am just starting to work with a web service provider that wants my account number to be part of the URL used to consume their web service, but not as a parameter. Something like this:
https://host/path1/path2/abc123
where abc123 would be my account number.
The body of the request will also contain more data in JSON format.

I can easily add my account number to the URL used to access their web service and that part is working.

The problem is that I need to create a web service that they will consume and part of the URL will be variable (like my account number above).
That does not look possible in the current version of AwarIM.
Bob
UnionSystems

Check Integrity Error Message

Post by UnionSystems »

When a BO attribute has been deleted the Integrity Check tool (Alt + I) correctly identifies any BO forms that use that deleted attribute.

Problem is the message does not include the name of the form the attribute was used by. It only nominates the panel of the form that referenced the attribute. If you have multiple forms in a BO you have to manually inspect each form to find and repair the panel.

Below is an example error, it states the BO Name, the form Panel but not the form name.
Integrity check error
Integrity check error
Untitled.png (8.18 KiB) Viewed 431455 times
AWS Linux, Windows Server, AIM 8.4 & 8.6
hpl123

SLEEP function

Post by hpl123 »

I often need to pause execution of rules e.g in a process if succeeding actions depend on preceding ones (the rule engine is to fast at times) so I would like a function we could use to "pause" execution for x number of seconds e.g SLEEP (5) or something like that and the execution of rules would pause for 5 seconds and then continue after the pause.

PS: For developers that need this functionality now, I use AutoIT (Windows) and it´s "SLEEP" function to achieve this today and works and/but I would rather have this built into Aware as it would simplify this a lot.
https://www.autoitscript.com/site/
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Code: Select all

I often need to pause execution of rules e.g in a process if succeeding actions depend on preceding ones (the rule engine is to fast at times) so I would like a function we could use to "pause" execution for x number of seconds 
I don't understand. Rules in a process are sequential. The next rule will NOT start executing until the previous rule has completely finished. So this request doesn't make sense to me.
Aware IM Support Team
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

aware_support wrote:

Code: Select all

I often need to pause execution of rules e.g in a process if succeeding actions depend on preceding ones (the rule engine is to fast at times) so I would like a function we could use to "pause" execution for x number of seconds 
I don't understand. Rules in a process are sequential. The next rule will NOT start executing until the previous rule has completely finished. So this request doesn't make sense to me.
Yes the rules are sequential but I often either have server stuff executed "outside" of Aware (e.g scripts, reports etc.) or UI things like tags used in UI (rules do some things and then redisplay a layout) and in these cases, many times the succedding rules are executed before the outside/UI stuff which means the changes are not "executed" properly.
hpl123

Lets encrypt SSL plugin

Post by hpl123 »

Built in lets encrypt generator for SSL:
https://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic ... 258#p53258
kklosson

Post by kklosson »

I would like the ability to call a URL as an operation on a form header. I would use this to call help topics from my knowledge base. Seems this would be easy (for Vlad).
V8.8
MySQL, AWS EC2, S3
PDFtk Toolkit
Jaymer

Re: Lets encrypt SSL plugin

Post by Jaymer »

hpl123 wrote:Built in lets encrypt generator for SSL:
This might be one of the best ideas in this thread.
Almost all of us need SSL at 1 point or another. I need it now and I have to re-familiarize myself with the procedure (last done 2 years ago) which will take time away from something else.
Some of us already know how to do it ... a few are way more proficient at it. Some have to pay $ to get this done.

Compared to other feature requests in the thread, I think this may be the most valuable one to implement - to save us $$$ by NOT having to take time to investigate the issue, which saves customers/clients/someone $$$ by not having to pay to get it done.
Will be interesting to see how Support reacts to this request.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

The more I learn about reverse proxying the less I am inclined to expose my Tomcat server to the world.

My limited understanding of Tomcat and SSL is that the certificates cannot be updated on the fly (that is to say the server has to be restarted) which then builds in a no more than 90 maintenance downtime cycle assuming you use Lets Encrypt. From a practicality point of view it seems better to n-tier the installation with something that can dynamically manage the certificate renewal - like NGINX with Lets Encrypt.
intra

Post by intra »

Heh, starting to see the light pointswell? :)

Yes, it makes alot more sense to use something that's designed to take care of renewal instead of bolting onto tomcat as you can't reload the configuration / keystore without out shutting down the connector. I no longer expose tomcat to the public internet for security reasons.

Would be better imho that we don't build something to handle SSL generation. Already lots of alternatives.
Avid Linux user....
Jaymer

Desperate for Combo Box improvement

Post by Jaymer »

The Combo box implementation needs to make a lightspeed jump!

For a simple pulldown, its fine.

1) We have seen from posts here, that people need more flexibility in the data in the combo.
The Custom layout only applies to when you pulldown (selected), not in collapsed mode. The Custom layout ability is very nice.
But when entering a form and the combo is showing an already selected value, there's no ability to format the data - or nicely show multiple columns.

2) We need to format the combo easier - to show more lines (a setting Kendo allows, but we have no access to this), alter colors, etc.
--> You can set an ID to the control, and then in JS, alter the kendo settings. I have done this to show more lines. but Aware uses that ID and if you open multiple tabs of the same BO/same form, this causes a fatal error because you modified the cell ID.

3) there should be a setting which modifies the Combo to show some alternate way of presenting the choices - it looks like a combo for Display/UI purposes, but when you click on it, bring up a PICK FROM query... which alleviates many of the issues (now you can see several columns, can filter & sort, can see more rows, will be faster cause "fetch all records" won't present a delay)

4) In fact, if you don't like bastardizing the Combo-box look & feel, make a new widget thats NOT "Combo-box" ... call it "Pick-from" and its styled a tiny bit diff. than the Combo but has settings to activate a Process (which does the PICK FROM) - many ways to go here.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

PointsWell wrote:
The more I learn about reverse proxying the less I am inclined to expose my Tomcat server to the world.

My limited understanding of Tomcat and SSL is that the certificates cannot be updated on the fly (that is to say the server has to be restarted) which then builds in a no more than 90 maintenance downtime cycle assuming you use Lets Encrypt. From a practicality point of view it seems better to n-tier the installation with something that can dynamically manage the certificate renewal - like NGINX with Lets Encrypt.
I haven´t really researched this for Tomcat and/but would think it´s possible to build/automate this in a some way that is resonable secure and when it comes to Tomcat restart, doing this 4.57am and tomcat being down for 30sec doesn´t really strike me as a problem (the generation of a new cert takes 10 seconds). I am currently using Letencrypt on Windows with IIS (for normal sites) and is awesome. I basically set (sat? :)) it (and forgot it) and it renews every 3 months without a hitch, it´s free, I don´t have to hassle every year etc. etc. etc.. IF we could get some type of plugin (and doesn´t even have to be directly in Tomcat, what else is possible?) that would automate and enables us to use free SSL, that would be pretty great. I am not willing to sacrifice security to save a buck and some time though so if we get something for this it would have to be secure.

Another "option" of this that would help is automating more of the SSL process and integrate it into the config tool in some way. The keystore process is a mess and I always get into problems when I do it and then it´s the other problems with updating other Aware files and I just find the entire process a hassle. If we could integrate some cert provider into the config tool so we would buy/renew/update Aware etc. etc the cert with a button click, that would work for me as well.
intra

Post by intra »

I agree with what you're suggesting, i just don't agree that AwareIM should be baking into their product support for LetsEncrypt directly to the core product as it stands today. There are many schools of through around 'system administration' and most enterprise users do not endorse shutting down servers due to the fact that background processes are running or user interactions are occurring during those odd hours.

IF support is to bake it in, i see the need to add a new component to the current suite that make up the AwareIM solution. That component would be a real webserver which then does reverse proxy, this increases complexity (not by much) and another process for maintenance of the suite overall.

In all fairness, i think its up to the developers to add this to their deployment as a separate task, after all its free, it works and saves time for AwareIM to concentrate on their existing core tools.

hpl123 wrote:
PointsWell wrote:

I haven´t really researched this for Tomcat and/but would think it´s possible to build/automate this in a some way that is resonable secure and when it comes to Tomcat restart, doing this 4.57am and tomcat being down for 30sec doesn´t really strike me as a problem (the generation of a new cert takes 10 seconds). I am currently using Letencrypt on Windows with IIS (for normal sites) and is awesome. I basically set (sat? :)) it (and forgot it) and it renews every 3 months without a hitch, it´s free, I don´t have to hassle every year etc. etc. etc.. IF we could get some type of plugin (and doesn´t even have to be directly in Tomcat, what else is possible?) that would automate and enables us to use free SSL, that would be pretty great. I am not willing to sacrifice security to save a buck and some time though so if we get something for this it would have to be secure.

Another "option" of this that would help is automating more of the SSL process and integrate it into the config tool in some way. The keystore process is a mess and I always get into problems when I do it and then it´s the other problems with updating other Aware files and I just find the entire process a hassle. If we could integrate some cert provider into the config tool so we would buy/renew/update Aware etc. etc the cert with a button click, that would work for me as well.
Avid Linux user....