Slow email

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
aware_support

Re: Slow email

Post by aware_support »

Aware iM uses Javamail to send emails. You need to take it up with Upcloud and ask them why Javamail is slow on their system and fast on others. Mentioning Javamail is crucial here.
Aware IM Support Team
Rennur

Post by Rennur »

Try replacing the mail.jar in the dir with version 1.6.2.

Download:
Dir: https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/com. ... mail/1.6.2
File: https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/com/sun/ ... -1.6.2.jar

Installation:
In v8.3, rename javax.mail.jar to mail.jar and replace the one in C:\AwareIM\lib
In v8.2 and below, rename javax.mail.jar to mail.jar and replace the one in C:\AwareIM\Tomcat\lib
Restart Aware IM server

I've been using this file with Aware 6.0.

Cheers
customaware

Post by customaware »

I have tested using v1.6.2 and it makes no difference to this issue on UpCloud.
Cheers,
Mark
intra

Post by intra »

Maybe do some network style analysis locally before approaching upcloud technical.

1. Do a traceroute to smtp.google.com to establish how many hops the service is away compared to AWS.
2. Look at the ms replies
3. Try and use a host within the same region to keep things similar for comparison.
Avid Linux user....
swiftinitpvtltd

Post by swiftinitpvtltd »

We have written small program to do this job as its delays 15+ seconds. Email goes in less than 2 seconds on upcloud now!. Please message me if you need any help.
BenchmarkDan

Post by BenchmarkDan »

Yep support, I have a ticket in to Upcloud. Thanks for specifically mentioning Java mail. Here is their first response.
-------------------------
If possible could you provide the details below so the team can investigate further on this.
Could you also provide the UUID or IP addresses of the servers and if possible example addresses to where they are sending mail.
Could you also send a trace route between the server and a destination server too. Our team did notice that one possibility could be that application first tries to use IPv6 for transport (if destination's MX has AAAA record) and that fails causing the delay. Another possibility may be that the destination end could be doing throttling against IP reputation based on some third party services which gives different values for UpCloud than AWS.
Also if possible could you try to debug sending the e-mail manually by some other tools that provide more details/logs so the team can take a deeper look?
-------------------------
Unfortunately, this is way above my level of competence. Technical skills are needed. Jamyer will probably be all over this - I hope. I would really be dead in the water if he did not have the same issue.

swiftinitpvtltd, I will message you - thank you.
Dan

Post by customaware »

I have done the same and they have sent me the same questions.

I have sent the details they have asked for ..... traceRoutes etc.

Will see how they go.

Amit's solution is written in .Net and cannot be done in Java apparently.

It is faster but would need a lot of work and although callable from Aware, it sends the mail outside of Aware.
Cheers,
Mark
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

Mark, also,
If you want to send email outside of Aware, then you can just use Mandrill et. al.
Of course that’s not the point, because many want to use the function built into Aware, Although in serious business applications, there are advantages to using outside service, which is why I circumvented this problem over a year ago.

Sending email externally is incredibly fast But requires extra steps that nonprogrammers certainly don’t want to be involved in.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
swiftinitpvtltd

Post by swiftinitpvtltd »

I have successfully tested sendemail Plugin we wrote and it sends an email in 1 or 2 seconds. I know Nasa recently found 39 new galaxies and this may be very small thing but anyone still waiting 15 light years to send a single email to Mars then we have a solution that will take you to Mars in 1 or 2 seconds.
Also now plugin is tightly integrated and built in Aware with some extras(no javaemail) and user/admins do not have configure smtp or anything(the plugin uses same aware IM outgoing system settings Host settings).
As of now any java email(either spring/inbuilt javax-any version or any java email library) takes 15 seconds to send single email on Upcloud. if they fix it then this plugin is not needed.
Jaymer

Works fine on Oracle Cloud

Post by Jaymer »

I have just created a new instance on Oracle Cloud.
A default Windows 2016 server. Not very fast, but its a freebie w/8GB ram.
Installed Aware, modified CRM.

Email is sent within 2 seconds and arrives about 1 second later.
So there's NO DELAY thats seen on Upcloud... its just not a very snappy server.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL