Which features do you want in the next release?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
intra

Re: Which features do you want in the next release?

Post by intra »

Update components that make up AIM:

Java 8 - 241 : So that LE (Lets Encrypt and others) intermediate certificates are handled without the error
"sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException:"
Avid Linux user....
PointsWell

Big Red Button / Server Start Stop

Post by PointsWell »

Ability from the UI to stop and start the server.

Single user version while great for working remotely can lock you out if you reload the web page or close the web page without logging out.

This requires you to shutdown the server and start again.

Would also be useful for when you are changing settings that require a restart.
PointsWell

Default Date Fields to Locale

Post by PointsWell »

At present the default date format is US for new date attributes. This is a highly localised format and very confusing outside the USA.

If the default was Locale then everyone would have their dates set to their own format.
PointsWell

Multiple Grouping of Queries [IMPLEMENTED]

Post by PointsWell »

At the moment you can only group queries through the UI to one level.

You can fiddle with scripts to make it group to more than one level but it is a faff. Would be good to have this natively.
Last edited by PointsWell on Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
PointsWell

Bulk Update Roles [IMPLEMENTED]

Post by PointsWell »

If you have more than a few BO's etc changing the role access is extremely time consuming.

I'd like to be able to select multiple items and make them all read only for example.
Last edited by PointsWell on Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
PointsWell

Bulk Removal of Import BOs [IMPLEMENTED]

Post by PointsWell »

Using the web interface Import function (VP menu item - would be good if it could also be used as an operation and attached to a query grid for example), if you only want a user to be able to import one type of BO then it is extremely time consuming to remove all of the others.

A select all / select none check box would fix the issue of when you only have one BO that you want.
Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 14.44.01.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 14.44.01.png (70.78 KiB) Viewed 479961 times
Last edited by PointsWell on Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
PointsWell

Stretch Form to Bottom of Screen [IMPLEMENTED]

Post by PointsWell »

At the moment it is possible to create a grid and have it stretch to bottom of the screen.

You can also put a grid on a form and stretch the grid to the bottom of the screen, which has the effect of stretching the form to the bottom of the screen.

What is missing is the ability to stretch the form to the bottom of the screen without requiring a grid to be on the form.

Being able to stretch the form to the bottom of the screen would provide visual consistency when you have a form next to a grid as both would stretch to the bottom of the screen.

Edit - or a height in % allowing 100%
Last edited by PointsWell on Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
PointsWell

Unlimited Grid Returns and Stretched Grids

Post by PointsWell »

At present you can stretch a grid to the bottom of the screen, however to do so you have to specify how many records you return OR you can specify the height of the grid and have unlimited returns.

There is a logical inconsistency with this. If you stretch the grid to the bottom of the screen you cannot predict how big that area is going to be. On a large screen it may be 600px high, on a small screen it may be 300px. If you specify the number of records that suits a 300px high grid but then the user has a large screen then the grid will appear concatenated. Does that mean there are no more records? Yes you can use the navigator panel at the bottom, but also users are not logical and don't always pick up on cues like that.

This creates user uncertainty. How can a user tell that he needs to scroll the grid to check that there are not more records below. How does a user know that a fixed height screen contains more records or is just the records that are visible on screen?

EDIT post Jaymer's comment - OR allow heights to be % with 100% as a valid height.
Last edited by PointsWell on Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
PointsWell

Incremental Upgrade Or Extend Last Values.prop

Post by PointsWell »

Updates are a high impact change that requires time to update and then recreate all of the configuration changes that you have made (BASServer for example)

There is inconsistency in what AIM remembers in between updates. For example Linux instals remember the path to the Browser post update yet forgets the connection string to the database.

Would save me a huge amount of time if a clean install asked for all of the config information and then subsequent updates remembered all of this.

Alternatively an incremental upgrade process that replaced only the elements that were different from the current install. It would not be the first time that I forgot to re-add the path to my custom CSS to start.html, or forget to update aware.css to point to the Fontawesome Pro fonts. You can just copy over start.html until there's a major change to it such as adding the Kanban parser.

Similarly if you go to the effort of updating Tomcat or Java version to current then it takes even longer.
Last edited by PointsWell on Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PointsWell

Better Help

Post by PointsWell »

The title is a little misleading. The help is reasonably good. Accessing the help from the Config Tool is not.

The help could benefit hugely from being placed into a content management tool. The current MS Word doc published to HTML lets down the incredible tech that makes up AIM and if I were evaluating the tool would be a turn off.

By placing the help in a content management type tool with comments sections would allow for community participation to clarify things that are missing or unclear, it would also allow for linking to specific elements when you are answering comments on the forum.
Jaymer

Help when adding calculated fields to Forms

Post by Jaymer »

now that the TabOrder -1 method has been perfected, I would suggest that Aware, by default, set a TAB ORDER -1 to ANY Calculated field that is added to a form.
I have tested that, if you do NOT ever use Tab Order, setting a few to -1 does not hurt anything.
IMHO, there's no reason for the cursor to Park (during normal forward tabbing) ON a Calc field - but I may be wrong
(since Support is monitoring this thread, no sense in this waiting for next version - next build would be great <G>)
Last edited by Jaymer on Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
Jaymer

Re: Unlimited Grid Returns and Stretched Grids

Post by Jaymer »

PointsWell wrote:At present you can stretch a grid to the bottom of the screen, however to do so you have to specify how many records you return OR you can specify the height of the grid and have unlimited returns.

There is a logical inconsistency with this. If you stretch the grid to the bottom of the screen you cannot predict how big that area is going to be. On a large screen it may be 600px high, on a small screen it may be 300px. If you specify the number of records that suits a 300px high grid but then the user has a large screen then the grid will appear concatenated. Does that mean there are no more records? Yes you can use the navigator panel at the bottom, but also users are not logical and don't always pick up on cues like that.

This creates user uncertainty. How can a user tell that he needs to scroll the grid to check that there are not more records below. How does a user know that a fixed height screen contains more records or is just the records that are visible on screen?
this grid issue has always perplexed me.
If you show 100 records per page in a Query, then the user has to scroll way down the screen - which scrolls the headings & menus off the top.
If you show 100 records AND you set a Height, then aware nicely scrolls all recs inside the xxx height window. very cool... EXCEPT
I have to set the height of that scrolling region - and that varies by user and screen size? So it needs to be able to use a percent or "ALL THE WAY TO BOTTOM" and let it figure it our at runtime.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
BLOMASKY

64 > 32

Post by BLOMASKY »

I don't run Aware as a service, since (I believe) that when running as a service on windows its running in a 32 bit environment. Why?

Bruce
customaware

Re: 64 > 32

Post by customaware »

BLOMASKY wrote:I don't run Aware as a service, since (I believe) that when running as a service on windows its running in a 32 bit environment. Why?

Bruce
I agree Bruce.

I would much rather use a Service but resort to Control Panel mainly (but not only) for this reason.
Cheers,
Mark
johntalbott

Re: Which features do you want in the next release?

Post by johntalbott »

Consuming a REST API Enhancements

1. Ability to iterate through data returned via a REST API without the need to commit it to the database first.
2. Ability to do JSON.parse and JSON stringify operations within a process
VocalDay Solutions - Agility - Predictability - Quality

We specialize in enabling business through the innovative use of technology.

AwareIM app with beautiful UI/UX - https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/crfUrrVeB3t