best way to do this. using a field in a group or directly?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Jaymer

best way to do this. using a field in a group or directly?

Post by Jaymer »

examine this code

Code: Select all

POLines.QtyRecv=POLines.Qty 
POLines.DateRecv=CURRENT_DATE
POLines.DateRecvWho=LoggedInCustSvcUsers.Name
this is from a process thats going to timestamp a PO line when it is received.

Now lets say I have several BOs that make up my SystemUser GROUP.
SalesUsers
ExternalUsers
CustSvcUsers
RegularUser (by default, although I may not have any data in here)

When I'm typing in the Rule, if I hit F5, Aware will enter: LoggedInSystemUser (which would refer to the Group). I have manually changed it to CustSvcUsers because I know that ExternalUsers and SalesUsers NEVER can touch the acct system (POs).

DO YOU THINK there is a performance penalty if I write the 3rd line as:
POLines.DateRecvWho=LoggedInSystemUsers.Name, or better performance by changing (as I did above) to
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
PointsWell

Re: best way to do this. using a field in a group or direct

Post by PointsWell »

Jaymer wrote:DO YOU THINK there is a performance penalty if I write the 3rd line as:
POLines.DateRecvWho=LoggedInSystemUsers.Name, or better performance by changing (as I did above) to
I can't speak to the performance issues but from a code maintainability point of view I keep references to the LoggedIn User BO specific. When I am reviewing my code later the slightest inconsistency can throw me off. Why did I change it? Why was I specific before and not now... etc. If I am ever lucky enough to sell off the IP of a product then I'd imagine that would also be a question. But your mileage may differ and it doesn't answer your performance issue.