IncomingEmail stopped-using outlook.office365.com (SOLVED)

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
ddumas

IncomingEmail stopped-using outlook.office365.com (SOLVED)

Post by ddumas »

AwareIM was processing incoming email, but intermitently. Now it just cannot at all. Outgoing email works fine.

I am using an email account at my company at outlook.office365.com I am using the same account for outgoing and incoming email, although the connection settings are different for outgoing vs incoming. (SMTP vs IMAP, etc)

I have configured AwareIM to use system settings, and have the Business Space "handle" incoming email from system settings.
Systems settings (Incoming Email) are :
outlook.office365.com, IMAP, TLS, port 993 These all match the account settings at outlook.office365.com, and again, AwareIM was at least intermitently processing incoming email. I have changed nothing in the application.

Error log at bottom.

Other Questions:

Is outlook.office365.com reliable with AwareIM? I should think so, lots of companies use it. But I do not know how to set connection timeouts, etc for that in my office365 admin.
Are there other email providers that are better to use with AwareIM (reliability-wise) than outlook.office365.com ?
Is AwareIM able to process a high volume of email though concurrent users of the application exchanging emails?

Dave

Tomcat log as follows:

EmailSource: checking e-mail
2019-12-12 01:27:46,117 ERROR -Reconnecting to e-mail store
Email Source: connecting to host outlook.office365.com on port 993
2019-12-12 01:28:54,298 ERROR -Unable to connect to remote host outlook.office365.comConnection dropped by server?
Last edited by ddumas on Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ddumas

Re: Incoming Email stopped working - using outlook.office365

Post by ddumas »

My PROCESSing logic was not done right. I fixed, and it works now.

As far as high volume is concerned, I spoke with a web application guy, and he told me that a commercial web app should really connect to an email server dedicated to serve that domain, and NOT outlook.office365.com. outlook.office365.com should only be used when you are testing out your app, but not at "go-live".

GoDaddy has a Virtual Private Server (VPS) starting at $45 US per month. This becomes a commercial grade email server with as many email accounts as you want for your domain.

Dave
Jaymer

"Not use office365 for email"?

Post by Jaymer »

uhh, i guess that makes sense. Clearly, MS is too big for us:

A few more stats compiled from Microsoft and DMR *
There are now over 155 million Office 365 business users (2018).
Outlook mobile app users reached 90 million in 2017.
Microsoft office has been downloaded on Android over 1 billion times (2018).
Office 365 made its Mac App Store debut in January of this year (2019).
There are now 500,000 businesses using Microsoft Teams, including 91% of the Fortune 100 (2019).

* https://blog.goptg.com/microsoft-office-365-statistics from April 2019
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
PointsWell

Re: Incoming Email stopped working - using outlook.office365

Post by PointsWell »

ddumas wrote:GoDaddy has a Virtual Private Server (VPS) starting at $45 US per month. This becomes a commercial grade email server with as many email accounts as you want for your domain.

Dave
Do you want to deal with hassle of maintaining a mail server and ensuring it doesn’t get black listed? AWS has Simple Email Service specifically for bulk mailing for marketing and from apps https://aws.amazon.com/ses/
customaware

Re: IncomingEmail stopped-using outlook.office365.com (SOLVE

Post by customaware »

Maybe I am missing something but I have never been able to work out how to Receive emails via services such as SES, Mandrill, SendMail and SMTP2Go.

Initially I used HMailServer on my boxes that both sent and received. Problem was that it was a bit flakey. Found it not always receiving emails, sometime just hung etc etc.

So now I have done away with trying to receive and only use Mandrill and SMTP2GO to send emails.

However, still on the hunt for a good cloud based service that we can use with Aware to reliable receive emails.

Not sure about this as only just discovered. But, it is the first cloud based service that I have seen (anyone seen, used, recommend others?)

https://www.cloudmailin.com/

Will check it out and revert.
Cheers,
Mark
ddumas

Re: IncomingEmail stopped-using outlook.office365.com (SOLVE

Post by ddumas »

CloudMailIn looks interesting, I will check that out. I will look into the "blacklisted" thing - I do not know what that is.
Dave