changing databases

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
john

changing databases

Post by john »

Hi

I am just wondering how difficult it is to change databases say from Derby to MSSQL once we have started (a live system is in use). Going forward we may well become more reliant on the AwareIM software (as we were surprised how capable it has turned out to be) but we have resevations about the stability and problem solving capabilities available to us with the Derby Database (as nobody knows anything about it)

Is this very difficult to do? and could you give me any pointers of how I might start or where to look for further information?

Regards
John
tford

Post by tford »

Hi John,

Support will certainly give a more complete answer, but I have used import & export functions very successfully in other scenarios.

Here are steps I would try:
1- Make copy of Derby-connected BSV & connect it to MSSQL (no data here yet)
2- Export all data from Derby BSV
3- Import all data to MSSQL BSV
4-- Test accuracy of data

Hope this helps,
Tom
greg

Post by greg »

John,
Having done a data transfer recently I can tell you that it is not an easy task. It depends on how much data you have and how complicated are relationships between your tables. It is a straightforward process to export and then import a flat table. However you will likely need to edit an exported table if you have a reference attribute. Note, if you open a csv file in Excel and some of your data start with '0', Excel will remove the preceding zero. Another potential problem is with long numbers, like a credit card number stored as a string. Excel will convert it to a scientific notation.
Good luck
greg
john

Post by john »

Thanks Greg

I am fairly ok with the workings of excel. You can get around that by changing the field properties (or dont open it in Excel!), but im sure you know that.

I was hoping support would give me an idea of how I perform this change regarding the AwareIM system itself

John