Map presentation

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
idpSteve

Map presentation

Post by idpSteve »

Hi all.

I've run into a problem. I read in a post that to display multiple markers on a map I should use a presentation. I ONLY want to display the map. I don't want any extra information to be displayed on the presentation.

When I try turn off visibility of bands in the presentation they disappear from the presentation editor, but as soon as I save and reopen the presentation they are back.

This is the first time I'm using a presentation. I'm quite sure this is something I'm missing. Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

P.S. the map and markers are all fine, I just have a bunch of empty fields all around the map, which is in the summary band.

Kind regards,

Steve
ACDC

Re: Map presentation

Post by ACDC »

If its just a map you wish to display then you can display a map in a form, you don't need to create a presentation. Click on the cell type and select google map
idpSteve

Post by idpSteve »

It is just a map, I'd like the map to have multiple locations on it, locations whose addresses are stored in different instances of an object. . If there is a way to do this on a form that will be fine, please could you elaborate if I can do it that way.

Thanks for the response.
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

Okay so it's not just a Map , its a map with multiple objects on it.
If you want multiple objects on one map then you will have to do a presentation method as discussed here
https://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic ... aps#p41273

BTW, are you using an address source to get the location or are you using gps co-ordinates?
If you are using an address, I found it takes too long to build the map. Its better to store the GPS or KML data on the object when creating the object. This way it might be quicker to present the map as there is no conversion taking place.
idpSteve

Post by idpSteve »

Thanks again for the reply. I did try this using a presentation, and the presentation includes a map, which does have all the pins on it. This is not an issue.

By default a presentation has a lot of 'bands' (Title, Page header, Column header, Details, Column footer, Page footer, Summary). I ONLY want to show the map, so my presentation ONLY needs to show the Summary band. In the band properties menu there is a Visible checkbox. If I un-check this the bands are not shown on the presentation configuration screen. When I save & close the presentation they come back. I cannot get rid of them. This makes my 'map' into a map surrounded with a bunch of empty 'cells' (bands) which is not suitable.

This is my issue, it's not something complicated (as far as I know) and I'm sure there is an easy fix, I just can't find it..

I hope someone can help, I need this to be ready in about 16 hours from now.. :(

P.S I am using addresses, but it is not too slow for my purpose. I am only showing between 5 and 15 locations, and as far as I've experienced it isn't too slow. Thanks for the tip though, I may switch over just for good practice.

Regards, Steve
tford

Post by tford »

You can set the band heights to 0 if you don't want them to appear.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
idpSteve

Post by idpSteve »

Hi Tom. I've tried that. Let me post a screen shot.

Thanks for the reply, I hope you can point me in the right direction from here..
Attachments
MapPresentation.PNG
MapPresentation.PNG (163.71 KiB) Viewed 17538 times
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Make sure your bands do not have any unwanted objects, then set the heights to the bands you don't need to 0 as Tom suggested. Also in a query that shows the presentation turn off paging bar.

There is also another method of display a map - in an HTML in a visual perspective. Please watch the video tutorial about Google Maps for details. This method is showcased in the Sales Portal sample application.
Aware IM Support Team
idpSteve

Post by idpSteve »

Thanks for all the replies.

Bands empty, except the summary one, which has the map. I've redone this from a blank presentation. All unwanted bands have 0 height, paging bar is turned off. I've attached more screen shots. I will try the HTML way and see if that helps. I'm not sure how it works with multiple pins. If anyone can help with this presentation method that would be ideal.

Regards,

Steve
Attachments
all heights set to 0.PNG
all heights set to 0.PNG (72.8 KiB) Viewed 17517 times
presentation with map.PNG
presentation with map.PNG (85.23 KiB) Viewed 17517 times
blank presentation.PNG
blank presentation.PNG (61.58 KiB) Viewed 17517 times
idpSteve

Post by idpSteve »

Seems I ran out of attachment space.. Attached is the result from above.

Regards,

Steve
Attachments
result.PNG
result.PNG (137.33 KiB) Viewed 17511 times