Sending a Calendar Invite from Aware

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
customaware

Sending a Calendar Invite from Aware

Post by customaware »

Does anyone know if it is possible to send a Calendar invite from Aware?

And being really optimistic.... Any way to deal with acceptance?
Cheers,
Mark
tford

Re: Sending a Calendar Invite from Aware

Post by tford »

Hmm .. you can sync an AwareIM calendar with Google calendar, so perhaps after syncing you could use DISPLAY URL to display the Google calendar and initiate a calendar invitation though Google interface.

Not exactly as precise as initiating through Aware, but seems like it should work.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
4xjbh

Post by 4xjbh »

Even with Cronofy you cannot send invitations from aware.

http://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 683#p41683
Regards, James

AwareIM 7.1 on AWS - Beware I'm a AwareIM noob. Anything I help you with might make the hole your in deeper.
intra

Post by intra »

You'll need to write a plugin to handle this.
Avid Linux user....
RLJB

Post by RLJB »

We have done it, and I wouldn't recommend it (it's painful to write and maintain), but if you are feeling like pain, high level process:

1. create a text doc, this will be an .ics file which is the attachment to your outgoing email, clicking this attachment will allow the recipient to drop it into their cal

2. the spec of the ics file must be VERY exact for it to work, there is a standard - just google it - but you need to test it a million times, there are ICS generators online but be careful as some are too simple for complex situations

3. the hard part is the timezones, the ICS needs to take into account the TZ of the meeting location, and the users and soon your head starts to hurt.

I have a vague memory that the Aware Cal didn't have sufficient functionality, it was something to do with a situation where you need to set the TZ of the meeting location, separate to where the two or more users attending are located. You can config around it, it's kinda ok for 4 TZs, but for all TZs in the world it would be ugly.

We got it working for Australia (with 4 timezones), when it came time to internationalise it, we dropped the feature as it would be a total PITA.
Rod. Aware 8.6 (latest build), Developer Edition, on OS Linux (Ubuntu) using GUI hosted on AWS EC2, MYSQL on AWS RDS
intra

Post by intra »

Rod,

I wrote a plugin to handle this, makes life alot easier.. just need to supply the details and it will construct the ICS file via process.
Avid Linux user....
RLJB

Post by RLJB »

Sweet - does it deal with timezones?

(and specifically the situation where meeting is in different TZ than user/s?)

And is it for sale?
Rod. Aware 8.6 (latest build), Developer Edition, on OS Linux (Ubuntu) using GUI hosted on AWS EC2, MYSQL on AWS RDS
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

intra wrote:Rod,

I wrote a plugin to handle this, makes life alot easier.. just need to supply the details and it will construct the ICS file via process.
Very nice indeed, if a plugin is available for sale please comment here :):
http://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 196#p42196
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
customaware

Post by customaware »

I am hoping Pete will add this to the AwareIMDevelopers.com marketplace
Cheers,
Mark