New here....introduction.

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
MichaelQ

New here....introduction.

Post by MichaelQ »

I recently discovered AwareIM and would like to introduce myself to this forum.

I'm based in the UK and first started computing using Visicalc running on CPM on an Osborne luggable....(I was quite young at the time)! I've been programming on and off since then, mainly writing small apps to help with my own trading busness. After selling that business, in 2006 a friend commissioned me to write a substantial ERP type system specific to the requirements of their niche. I wrote it in Delphi/Firebird and it was a long, tedious process. The system was a success but I vowed then to find a much better programming tool that abstracts away all the "reinventing the wheel" business logic and presentation coding and allows me to concentrate on the business problems. Now when I see tools which require me to learn, understand and write code, my heart sinks. I'm done with having to learn several languages and environments just to produce a good robust browser app.

Over the years I must have looked closely at every development tool on the market. Some tools simply aren't up to the job or still require extensive coding. Others seem to be powerful low-code tools, but their licensing terms and costs are unrealistic for small developers.

After reading through some of this forum and a lot of the documentation and watching the videos, from what I've seen I think I might have found what I'm looking for at last.

I look forward to joining this community.

Cheers,

Michael
Michael Q
Devon, UK
RentProperty

Re: New here....introduction.

Post by RentProperty »

Welcome Michael...

You've just joined the best most helpful developer community in the world. :-) The people here are like a little family. Always willing to help each other out and solve problems together.

As far as AwareIM itself goes... You won't find a better solution for a non-coder. (I myself have no formal coding background, and am 100% self-taught on AwareIM). It is a very enjoyable framework to work in and you can produce amazing applications in a fraction of the time of normal low level coding languages. Obviously if you have other coding experience such as Java and HTML/CSS/Javascript you can use those to further expand your software etc.

I'm sure with the newest version and all the videos you'll be up and running in no time. Hope to see you around on here. :-)

Kind Regards

Hein
Hein Hanekom & Werner Hanekom
Sinov8.net
AwareIM Version 5.9 | 6.0 | 7.0 | 7.1 (Windows EC2 R2012 & MySQL)
MichaelQ

Post by MichaelQ »

Thanks Hein, that's good to hear.
I want to enjoy app development and be able to sleep at night.
I look forward to chatting here. (Please forgive me if I ask a lot of questions).

Michael
Michael Q
Devon, UK
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

Mike, I've been there and done that.
Built my first commercial medical app on CPM/86 and MPM/86 (multi user) using Digital Research CB-86 and built my own file manager, and then I did own a portable Osborne with 8" screen. :-)
In 1995 I switch to Delphi 1 (16-bit) till 2005 building a large manufacturing app. And now guess what, I'm using AwareIM, because it takes 1/10 of the time and resources to build apps that other tools.

You're in the right place. :D
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

MichaelQ wrote: I want to enjoy app development and be able to sleep at night.

Michael
With Aware at your hand, you won't be able to sleep at nights, because you will have so many ideas that you want to write and you can't write app when you're sleep. :mrgreen:
MichaelQ

Post by MichaelQ »

That's funny. :D

I'm just wondering what the AwareIM freelance market is like. It seems to me that it is not widely known about or used. This may or may not be a good thing.

Michael
Michael Q
Devon, UK
weblike

Post by weblike »

Hi Michael,
Welcome onboard.
You are in the right place ineed. Just ask questions and someone will reply for sure.
Thx,
George
DB: MySql 5.6.42
Squiffy

Post by Squiffy »

Hi - I'm a newbie myself.
Have to say so far has been pretty good. Being a general programmer I've had to leave some of my baggage at the door, but when you do it all becomes very clear indeed.

I switched not because I can't program but because I wanted to speed up my time to market.

My advice as a newcomer - don't try and shoehorn old habits into new technology. Take the time to learn how to do it the AIM way.

Hope you enjoy.
David Wylie
Server : Linux (Centos 7), Client : Windows 10, db : MariaDB
"...a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as my wife would have it, an idiot."
tford

Post by tford »

You've just joined the best most helpful developer community in the world. :-) The people here are like a little family. Always willing to help each other out and solve problems together.
Welcome Michael.

Loved reading Hein's words .. very true!
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
customaware

Post by customaware »

Welcome aboard Michael.

Strap yourself in.... you just changed your life..... for the better. ;-)

All here to help and get you up to speed in the shortest possible amount of time.

Ask away.
Cheers,
Mark
BLOMASKY

but even more important...

Post by BLOMASKY »

Besides being the most helpful community around, we are certainly the BEST LOOKING community around. (well, that is among techies... I am sure the Playboy centerfold community has us beat...but they can't develop applications!)

You are right, there is NOT a 3rd party community around, and while that might hurt you when trying to pitch an app to a large company, the plus is that you will have NO competition re: speed of development. speed of updates...

As others have told you, and as you will learn fast, this is a very different paradigm in application development. Coming from a language like Delphi or Ext JS where there are 100's (no 1,000s! no 10,000s) different properties, methods, controls, etc. etc. that you have to learn, BUT are very procedural (i.e. you start from top down and write all of your application logic with a LOT of code, when you come to aware, your mind might start working like this:

1). YEA! with only 30-40 actions, I can learn all of these, and be an expert in NO time

2). DARN! Where, on which menu, did they hide the option for ????

3). HELP! I am not really sure where to put my "Rules" and do not know when they will be triggered.

4). WOW, with relationships in the application design, a properly designed system just takes care of it self.

5). BLISS when you finally "GROK" the entire AWARE environment and see that very complicated application logic just flows together.

6) BIG GRIN when discovering that Aware is like your junior programmer who always does the low level stuff for you, (creating tables, renaming, altering attributes, controlling security, access, designing menus, etc.) while you can just focus on the big picture

It won't be overnight, but trust me on this, you will NEVER wanna go back to work with other tools.

Bruce
MichaelQ

Post by MichaelQ »

As long as this is the BEST LOOKING community, I'm happy :)

Michael
Michael Q
Devon, UK
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

Welcome to Awareness :D.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)