Database Question

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
BLOMASKY

Database Question

Post by BLOMASKY »

It looks like the only way to change the database is with the system settings. I understand that my business logic (the business space) in stored in a database, but assuming I am creating multiple apps. (i.e. order entry, help desk, etc.) and want them to all be stored on a MSSQL server but the data all in separate database, can I easily do that?

Thanks
Bruce
weblike

Re: Database Question

Post by weblike »

Hi Bruce,

Yes you can. When You create nuw BS check "Allocate separate database....."

Cheers,
Thx,
George
DB: MySql 5.6.42
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

weblike wrote:Hi Bruce,

Yes you can. When You create nuw BS check "Allocate separate database....."

Cheers,
I was going to respond as you did George, but I I "think" what Bruce was asking if he can have the data for each app in different database, meaning one app In MSSQL, one App in MySQL another App in Oracle and so on, all as internal databases and not external databases. If that's what he is asking, then the answer is no. In some other products, you can designate a separate database server brand to each app. In Aware, it's all in one.
weblike

Post by weblike »

BenHayat wrote: I was going to respond as you did George, but I I "think" what Bruce was asking if he can have the data for each app in different database, meaning one app In MSSQL, one App in MySQL another App in Oracle and so on, all as internal databases and not external databases. If that's what he is asking, then the answer is no. In some other products, you can designate a separate database server brand to each app. In Aware, it's all in one.
Your point is very true and this would be very nice to have... In other posts this problem is not detailed to much by Support, why can't be done, or it's in our todo list...

Cheers,
Thx,
George
DB: MySql 5.6.42
cishpix

Post by cishpix »

BLOMASKY wrote:It looks like the only way to change the database is with the system settings. I understand that my business logic (the business space) in stored in a database, but assuming I am creating multiple apps. (i.e. order entry, help desk, etc.) and want them to all be stored on a MSSQL server but the data all in separate database, can I easily do that?
Hey Bruce,

I think you could seperate the Business Object (BO) like you want.

Just see the Persistence option on the left corner at the bottom of your BO into "Database: existing external" and then you could add the new connection for the database from Settings button as you want.
Regards,

Suwandy
-----------------
Kisaran - Indonesia
customaware

Post by customaware »

Suwandy,

While you can connect to external databases, they do not allow you to take advantage of some of the most powerful features od Aware IM in terms of BO References.

It would not make any sense to write an entire Aware IM app using external database. Good for getting access to legacy data though.
Cheers,
Mark
tford

Post by tford »

eagles9999 wrote:Suwandy,

While you can connect to external databases, they do not allow you to take advantage of some of the most powerful features od Aware IM in terms of BO References.

It would not make any sense to write an entire Aware IM app using external database. Good for getting access to legacy data though.
Agree 100% with Mark.

IF you have to have the data as an external table, there are some ways to create cross reference BOs in AwareIM that allow you to extend AwareIM's functionality beyond it's normal limitations with external tables. It does take significant additional work though .. work that is totally unneeded with internal databases.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

I was asking about a diff. database for each business space. My old eyes just didn't see the check box. (Perhaps I need a senior citizen size font!)

Thanks guys