converting doc to pdf crash

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
mrbdrm

converting doc to pdf crash

Post by mrbdrm »

Hi
i am having this wired issue and i can't find a solution from over a week now.
it's more related to the server than AwareIM, every tool i tried to make a conversion from doc to pdf crash randomly
i tested A-PDF Office to PDF, 7-pdf, TotalDocConverte, eePDF Office to PDF Converter and more, from command-tool and directly from the application.
they all crash when converting at random base, sometimes at the first file and other times after 45 files.
only AwareIM and MySQL and Office 2007 are installed(tried 2010 with the same crash issue)

it's not a direct issue of awareim but it may help others using EXECUTE PROGRAM and facing the app crash and awareim can't know that the app crash.
any of you guru like to guide me on what the issue may be?
Attachments
Server Spec
Server Spec
spec.png (7.31 KiB) Viewed 9805 times
hpl123

Re: converting doc to pdf crash

Post by hpl123 »

mrbdrm,
I just experienced this using 7PDF. I have only experienced it 1 time and in a non production system so hoping this isn´t a consistent problem. I know several other developers are using word to pdf without a hitch.

I don´t know which tool is the best? I know there has been previous discussions on this and on the best tool but can´t remember what they were?
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
mrbdrm

Post by mrbdrm »

hpl123 wrote:mrbdrm,
I just experienced this using 7PDF. I have only experienced it 1 time and in a non production system so hoping this isn´t a consistent problem. I know several other developers are using word to pdf without a hitch.

I don´t know which tool is the best? I know there has been previous discussions on this and on the best tool but can´t remember what they were?
the problem isn't the best tool but the cause for all of them to crash randomly, the ones that need office installed crash ms word and 7-pdf crash it self.
tried installing 7-pdf on the D drive with no luck.
Attachments
crash.png
crash.png (213.94 KiB) Viewed 9796 times
kklosson

Post by kklosson »

I also doubt this is the tool problem. Possibly a problem in the content, especially any graphics that might be in there. I have known graphics (stored as blobs) to be problematic on occasion, probably something about the graphic image itself. So if the document has a graphic, try changing or removing it as a test.
V8.8
MySQL, AWS EC2, S3
PDFtk Toolkit
mrbdrm

Post by mrbdrm »

kklosson wrote:I also doubt this is the tool problem. Possibly a problem in the content, especially any graphics that might be in there. I have known graphics (stored as blobs) to be problematic on occasion, probably something about the graphic image itself. So if the document has a graphic, try changing or removing it as a test.
i have just tried with an empty document, crashed.
there is a pattern in crashing, it crashes in the last file it convert.

Code: Select all

Convert D:\Words\Doc1 - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy.docx to PDF...done.
Convert D:\Words\Doc1 - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy.docx to PDF...done.
Convert D:\Words\Doc1 - Copy - Copy - Copy.docx to PDF...done.
Convert D:\Words\Doc1 - Copy - Copy.docx to PDF...done.
Convert D:\Words\Doc1 - Copy.docx to PDF...done.
Convert D:\Words\Doc1.docx to PDF...done.
Exception EAccessViolation in Modul combase.dll bei 0001AFBE.
Zugriffsverletzung bei Adresse 756FAFBE in Modul 'combase.dll'. Schreiben von Ad
resse 006B0A8C.
weblike

Post by weblike »

Hi,
I have also worked with 7PDF a while ago. On windows 7 with MS Office 2013, everything was fine, but migrated to Windows 2012 and I had same troubles like you. Sorry, but this is the true.

In one of my posts, Mark gave a hint about PDFCombinePROX (command line, not cheap but powerful, the producer says its a server solution). Also I have abandoned MS Office because converting is too slow (7->10 seconds). Yes you can have processes in background, but even than if you have a fast user, the system is not fast enough. So, now I'm using HTML reports, much faster and also good looking (a little css work have to be done, but the web is full of examples). A report in HTML is almost instant and with PDFCombinePROX you can combine multiple file types (docx, hrml, pdf, etc.)
http://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ice#p33021

Hope this helps,
Thx,
George
DB: MySql 5.6.42
mrbdrm

Post by mrbdrm »

weblike wrote:Hi,
I have also worked with 7PDF a while ago. On windows 7 with MS Office 2013, everything was fine, but migrated to Windows 2012 and I had same troubles like you. Sorry, but this is the true.

In one of my posts, Mark gave a hint about PDFCombinePROX (command line, not cheap but powerful, the producer says its a server solution). Also I have abandoned MS Office because converting is too slow (7->10 seconds). Yes you can have processes in background, but even than if you have a fast user, the system is not fast enough. So, now I'm using HTML reports, much faster and also good looking (a little css work have to be done, but the web is full of examples). A report in HTML is almost instant and with PDFCombinePROX you can combine multiple file types (docx, hrml, pdf, etc.)
http://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ice#p33021

Hope this helps,
i need to convert from office to pdf so html is not going to work.(user uploaded document)
right now i have reinstalled A-PDF Office to PDF in the D drive with ghostscript on the D too, tested over 240 conversion with no problem so far, lets hope its a fix :)
also i use pdftk Server(Free Tool) to merge PDFs
mrbdrm

Post by mrbdrm »

fix for running 7 PDF on server 2012
Right Click on 7P.exe -> Properties -> Compatibility -> check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" -> Choose "Windows 7" form the drop down list -> hit OK.
yuri.rj

Post by yuri.rj »

There is a solution to convert DOC to PDF without using a third party software

Posted on tips and tricks
http://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7929