SOAP-based web services survey

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
aware_support

SOAP-based web services survey

Post by aware_support »

Dear Aware IM users.

we are getting closer to the release of a new version 8.6. Among other things this version will support Big Sur - the latest Mac OS. (Version 8.5 is not compatible with Big Sur). This required us to update Aware IM to Java 12 on Windows and Linux and to Java 15 on Mac OS. Unfortunately, support for SOAP based web services in the new Java is very different from the old one and updating them is a very big job.

Long story short - we are planning to release 8.6 without support for SOAP-based web services (both exposing and consuming them). We will probably add this support in subsequent releases.

The question we have to the community is how many of you are using SOAP based web services - again both exposing and consumption?

Note that it will still be possible to consume web services using a plugin - this is a relatively straightforward job.

PLEASE NOTE - this DOES NOT apply to REST-ful web services - support for them will remain unchanged.
Aware IM Support Team
BobK

Re: SOAP-based web services survey

Post by BobK »

We consume and expose SOAP based web services.
Bob
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

aware_support wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:55 am This required us to update Aware IM to Java 12 on Windows and Linux and to Java 15 on Mac OS.
Does this mean we have to start paying Oracle for JAVA ?
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

aware_support wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:55 amwe are planning to release 8.6 without support for SOAP-based web services (both exposing and consuming them)
Maybe this isn't an issue.
It depends on what new features are coming with 8.6
Do you have a list?
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

8.6 list will be in a separate thread at some point.

Paying Oracle for Java - as we understand their licensing policy developers do not have to pay - only the end users. So, yes, they may need to purchase a subscription (which is not expensive as far as I understand).
Aware IM Support Team
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

aware_support wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:03 am Paying Oracle for Java - as we understand their licensing policy developers do not have to pay - only the end users. So, yes, they may need to purchase a subscription (which is not expensive as far as I understand).
Is there a reason to use Oracle JDK instead of Open JDK?
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Open JDK is licensed under GPL, which is not suitable for Aware IM - it is not open source.
Aware IM Support Team
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

Long story short - we are planning to release 8.6 without support for SOAP-based web services (both exposing and consuming them). We will probably add this support in subsequent releases.

So for the purpose of BIG Sur , non Mac users lose SOAP ?

We use SOAP on a current 7.1 installation pending upgrade to the new Version.

Also busy with a new massive project where the spec for connecting to devices via SOAP is required, also pending upgrade to new AwareIm with latest Kendo version
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

aware_support wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:02 am Open JDK is licensed under GPL, which is not suitable for Aware IM - it is not open source.
1. "not suitable" for you, as a software development company, to distribute with Aware the tool?
or
2. end-users have some technical reason why Open JDK will not work with Aware IM the tool?
or
3. Open JDK license still does not allow an end-user (company using an Aware solution) to use free-of-charge?
RLJB wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:24 am Can confirm OpenJDK 8 works fine, have been using on 6 AwareIM prod servers with Linux for at least 12 months.
nhofkes wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:33 pm I just finished installing the OpenJDK 15 to replace the standard Java SE v8 that ships with AwareIM. So far everything seems to be working fine, I got the Control Panel and the Configurator running without any problems.

Jaymer
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

None of the above
The GPL series are all copyleft licenses, which means that any derivative work must be distributed under the same or equivalent license terms.
To distribute Open JDK would require AIM to be open sourced
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

PointsWell wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:14 pm None of the above
The GPL series are all copyleft licenses, which means that any derivative work must be distributed under the same or equivalent license terms.
To distribute Open JDK would require AIM to be open sourced
Sure, he cant.
But what about US using it on our upcloud or in-house servers?
... we’re not distributing it.

Jaymer
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Code: Select all

So for the purpose of BIG Sur , non Mac users lose SOAP ?
First of all loss of SOAP web services is temporary. If they are crucial for someone they should stay on 8.5 for the time being. Second of all, we cannot sit on the old Java forever. Big Sur is just the first serious reminder that we need to update.

As we understand GPL if you use GPL-based products all the software that you are using must be open source, so you would need the source code for Aware IM to be published.
Aware IM Support Team
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

aware_support wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:44 pm

As we understand GPL if you use GPL-based products all the software that you are using must be open source, so you would need the source code for Aware IM to be published.
IANA(P)L but

It seems to depend on whether you modify OpenJDK and create a new Work (ie piece of software) from that OpenJDK. If the JDK is swappable entirely i.e. you could install AIM run it with Oracle JDK then shut it down and swap out OpenJDK with no modification to the JDK then you can distribute as long as you provide the source code to the JDK or a link to the source code
http://openjdk.java.net/legal/gplv2+ce.html wrote:2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion of it, thus
forming a work based on the Program, and copy and distribute such modifications
or work under the terms of Section 1 above, provided that you also meet all of
these conditions:

a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices stating
that you changed the files and the date of any change.

b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or
in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof, to be
licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of
this License.

c) If the modified program normally reads commands interactively when run,
you must cause it, when started running for such interactive use in the
most ordinary way, to print or display an announcement including an
appropriate copyright notice and a notice that there is no warranty (or
else, saying that you provide a warranty) and that users may redistribute
the program under these conditions, and telling the user how to view a copy
of this License. (Exception: if the Program itself is interactive but does
not normally print such an announcement, your work based on the Program is
not required to print an announcement.)

In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the Program with the
Program (or with a work based on the Program) on a volume of a storage or
distribution medium does not bring the other work under the scope of this
License
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

That's good news, then...
Aware IM Support Team
triss

Post by triss »

What is the issue you're seeing with Big Sur? I run it on my laptop and as far as I can tell 8.5 is running fine. Happy to investigate what's different about what I'm doing.