8.3 REST Service

If you think that something doesn't work in Aware IM post your message here
UnionSystems

8.3 REST Service

Post by UnionSystems »

Found a possible issue with the REST publication service in 8.3 build 2630 (also observed this issue in previous 8.3 builds). This issue was not evident in 8.1.

If an attribute being returned by the service contains a '#' character the XML or JSON result is split at the '#' character and the '#' character is not returned.

For example if you return an attribute of string 123456 AwareIM REST returns XML of

Code: Select all

<Object>
<Attribute>123456</Attribute>
</Object>
But if there is a '#' character in that string like 123#456 AwareIM REST returns

<Object>
<Attribute>123</Attribute>
<Attribute>456</Attribute>
</Object>
We would expect to get

<Object>
<Attribute>123#456</Attribute>
</Object>
Same problem occurs when AwareIM REST returns a JSON result for an attribute that contains a '#' character. In that case the JSON is

{
"Attribute": [123, 
456]}
Attached BSV (XML.bsv) demonstrates the problem. Note to view REST output you need to PUBLISH the BSV then you can browse REST output at http://localhost:8080/AwareIM/REST/XML/Test

Note in this test BSV we've named the object 'Object' and the test attribute 'Attribute'.
AWS Linux, Windows Server, AIM 8.4 & 8.6
Jaymer

Re: 8.3 REST Service

Post by Jaymer »

Dave,
I'd have to check a 8.1 project from 1.5 yrs ago, but I think I had a similar problem then. If I was sending an SMS msg and the user entered "my # is 111-2222" then it would crap out when sending. I had to escape it I think. Might help you get thru it [for now] using a REPLACE_PATTERN.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
UnionSystems

Post by UnionSystems »

Thanks Jaymer,

Appreciate your prompt response, typical of your generosity to this forum.

We've explored escaping the '#' in our content but we are actually passing through HTML and Javascript code in the REST response. The content uses # for RGB colour codes and in javascript Jquery $(#ID) references so its hard for us to quickly escape #. Our hope is that AwareIM can accept transmission of #.

We are crossing fingers this is remedied in Vlad's next 8.3 AwareIM release :-)
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

This will be fixed in the next build
Aware IM Support Team
UnionSystems

Post by UnionSystems »

Thanks
UnionSystems

Post by UnionSystems »

This has been fixed but we have discovered the same issue occurs in 8.4 with another character ‘^’

If an attribute being returned by the service contains a '^' character the XML or JSON result is split at the '^' character and the '^' character is not returned.

For example if you return an attribute of string 123456 AwareIM REST returns XML of

<Object>
<Attribute>123456</Attribute>
</Object>
But if there is a '^' character in that string like 123^456 AwareIM REST returns

<Object>
<Attribute>123</Attribute>
<Attribute>456</Attribute>
</Object>
We would expect to get

<Object>
<Attribute>123^456</Attribute>
</Object>
intra

Post by intra »

What might be good in this suituation is being able to user define the REST result delimiter to give a little more flexibility when it comes to provider result responses.

I think I came across this one for one of my data sources so I wrote a plugin in favour of using the native Awareim REST method.
Avid Linux user....
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

This concept of a ^ symbol was also discussed here, FYI:
https://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic ... 57&p=52367

Had not heard of this before that post.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL