DISPLAY DOCUMENT (secured functionality)

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
ddumas

DISPLAY DOCUMENT (secured functionality)

Post by ddumas »

I have a unique requirement to NOT allow the PDF to be printed or downloaded locally.

The below is from the AWAREIm how to guide.

A report may be generated as part of the process that uses DISPLAY DOCUMENT action. When the action is executed the report is displayed on the screen as PDF document. Note that the action can generate the report from the template as in the first option or display the document already stored as the value of the attribute of the Document type as in the second option

In my app, A user (Member BO) should be able to only view a PDF, and ONLY if I issue a Display Document (Button Process) action. Once I expire an Event (an event is "alive" for about an hour, and then I expire t), I will hide that button from the grid record operations.

Does anyone know if this is default behavior of DISPLAY DOCUMENT? If not, LockLizard has an pdf api that I can call that allows a pdf upload, and adds the above security functionality to it. However, that functionality is US $4500/year.

Dave
ACDC

Re: DISPLAY DOCUMENT (secured functionality)

Post by ACDC »

Is it not possible to set the security parameters of the PDF with an external PDF utility on the AIM server and then storing the locked-down PDF in a document attribute as opposed to the dynamically created report pdf

BTW, a snapshot image of the pdf will allow its use anyway, unless of course you want to manage it from an authenticity point of view.
ddumas

Post by ddumas »

ok, sounds like a Document stored in AWAREIM and then displayed, cannot prevent a PDF download or print of the PDF.

I will have to use LockLizard.
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

Interesting product. DRM protects from most people, thats for sure. I mean, its better than just sending the PDF down the line with no protection.

Only problem I see is that this was written before the iPhone (i think).
So, while you can't make a jpg/screen capture on Mac or PC, you can still hold your phone up to the screen and take an image.
And everyone has a phone.

Disable the right-click on a web page deters many people from the context menu (view source, save as, etc.).
Sure, doesn't deter a programmer - there are exceptions.
But since everyone has a phone, anyone can still take pics of of the PDF/Training Material/Specs, etc. unless you have a controlled environment/safe room. So, you'll accomplish most of what you desire unless someone just grabs their phone.

From this screen: https://www.locklizard.com/stop-screen-grabbers_news/
Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 2.46.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 2.46.46 PM.png (97.88 KiB) Viewed 5980 times
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
ddumas

Post by ddumas »

yep, I plan to do a trial with them. I will let you know how it works out.
Dave