Display multiple documents like WordMerge

If you think that something doesn't work in Aware IM post your message here
jannes

Display multiple documents like WordMerge

Post by jannes »

DISPLAY DOCUMENT abc
only displays the document from 1 record in a BO.

Is it possible to generate / display multiple documents (from all records in a BO), like a WordMerge process ?
Example : To send a letter to all members.

= Jannes
aware_support

Re: Display multiple documents like WordMerge

Post by aware_support »

DISPLAY DOCUMENT works with what's in the Context - if there are multiple records in the Context, it will work with multiple records. You can create a document from results of query execution - check out the Rule Language Guide for all options that the DISPLAY DOCUMENT action supports
Aware IM Support Team
jannes

Post by jannes »

The (part of the ) solution is :
DISPLAY DOCUMENT Ledenkaart MERGE INTO ONE
In that case there is only 1 output-document.

BUT : then ALL the records of the query (Persoon) are included in the merged Word-document.
I like to have only searched records in the output.

How to have only searched records (example = members from 1 city) from a BO in the merged Word-document ?

I want to avoid an extra "FIND Persoon WHERE.. " in a Process

This doesn't work :
1) In document template Data : Run query | Existing query = Persoon
2) Passing Persoon as input parameter. Data : Dertermined at runtime

So the question is simple :
I filter certain records in a query and want to create 1 Wordmerge-document of those records.
The result must only contain the filtered records.

I couldn't find a proper answer in forum / documentation.

= Jannes
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

jannes wrote: So the question is simple :
I filter certain records in a query and want to create 1 Wordmerge-document of those records.
The result must only contain the filtered records.
= Jannes
??? "query"

Just to be clear, is this what you mean?
IN A GRID, the user filters records and I want to create 1 Wordmerge-document of those records.

If so, there's no simple way [for us] to access the filtered record set from a Kendo Grid.
However, the built-in Export, Print-friendly output, etc. functions DO USE that set of recs. Would be nice if someday there's a way to pass those record pointers into Aware.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
jannes

Post by jannes »

Oeps..

Users work with data and filter / search records to use them, do something with those records like changing, wordmerge, export etc..
That's the main activity in any application.

So you think there is no way in AIM yet to pass these records..
Then I have to find a way to re-use the filter-selection so I can do :
FIND Person WHERE Person.City CONTAINS 'DAM'
DISPLAY DOCUMENT Ledenkaart MERGE INTO ONE

Would that be possible ?
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

You can use a process that uses PICK ONE OR MORE FROM and then DISPLAY DOCUMENT

PICK ONE OR MORE FROM will display a grid. Users can use whatever filters they want in this grid, but they have to select records they want to use. Those records will be placed in the Context and can then be picked up by a document.
Aware IM Support Team
tford

Post by tford »

Jannes,

Not sure if you want to get this complicated, but it IS possible with a different paradigm. You'll have to build your own filter fields and store them in LoggedInRegularUser.

Some of the concept is in this sample BSV from an older version of Aware IM:

https://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8229

If you are interested in this concept, I could help coach you to the next steps in using them to display the merged docs of the selected instances.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

Jannes
Do u understand what support wrote?
It’s viable, but since you’re new you may not realize it.
Toms idea is valid too.
Neither is exactly what you were thinking, but it will work ~ though not as straight forward as you thought.

Don’t waste time, just ask if you need more.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
jannes

Post by jannes »

Hi Jaymer,

Yes, I understand the answers.

When I filter records and push the [Edit] button to go to a detail-edit screen, I can scroll next and previous in the selected records. So somehow the selected records are available.

Building an own new filter-module (like Toms example) is not my preferred way to go.
There are so many fields, each field has 8 options, from/to, and/or etc..
But maybe it's the only solution.

PICK records seems not to be user-friendly when a lot of records have to be selected.

= Jannes
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

jannes wrote: PICK records seems not to be user-friendly when a lot of records have to be selected.
On a Pick
1) remember you can format a nice Grid so you get only the columns you want, process is PICK FROM 'grid name'
2) You can have it display 500 records (or whatever the max # you think your user will find)
3) Checking that 1 box at the top to check ALL LINES only checks records on that page - so if you were RecsPerPage of 20 recs and user found 50, you have to make sure they go to Page 2 (and click all) and then Page 3 (and click all) - not nice. But, using large RecsPerPage will solve that.

Yes, I think not a lot of people realize the Next/Prev record buttons cause they are small up there in Panel Toolbox. When I want to use them, I move them to Top Panel Toolbar (so they are bigger) and can say "<< Prev" and "Next >>". One thing bad about this is that when at the 1st record, instead of the "Prev" button just being dimmed, it goes away completely - which makes paging thru records odd for the user cause those buttons shift positions.

But, to your point, its nice that the context of the found records is still available to the user. I'm working on something over next day or two that might solve this issue.

Another way to solve this is to have a Virtual List that the user is building. To add recs to the list, they are presented with a PICK ONE OR MORE. Use the filters, check the column, and when they return only THOSE record IDs get added to a list. You can Add More to the list and go back and find a different set. You can browse the list and delete entries. When you're finally done, you can now Email/Export to that list.

Jaymer
jannes

Post by jannes »

I'm working on something over next day or two that might solve this issue.

Hi Jaymer,

I hope you made some progress.. :D

= Jannes
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

No, I have not solved THAT, but I can do a screen share with you and you can see how I handle this - you might discover something new.
skype me JaymerJaymer

Jaymer
tford

Post by tford »

Support - is there any way to access the filter values and store them in LoggedInRegularUser? Perhaps through a script or something??
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
johntalbott

Post by johntalbott »

The cleanest would be to use JS to call a process passing an array of the filtered records.
VocalDay Solutions - Agility - Predictability - Quality

We specialize in enabling business through the innovative use of technology.

AwareIM app with beautiful UI/UX - https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/crfUrrVeB3t