Phonegap anyone? Or nativescript support?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
johntalbott

Re: Phonegap anyone? Or nativescript support?

Post by johntalbott »

This is the base list of required API integration to at least be on par with what's already out there.
  • Accelerometer
    Camera
    Compass
    Contacts
    File
    Geolocation
    Media
    Network
    Notification (alert, sound, vibration)
    Storage
I'd love it if Cordova were directly built into the AwareIM IDE, but for the shorter term ... I settle for just being able to do it somewhat manually. Hopefully this would keep the door open for integration of other Cordova plug-ins as they will come out faster than Aware could keep up.

btw .. the list above is from ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Cordova
VocalDay Solutions - Agility - Predictability - Quality

We specialize in enabling business through the innovative use of technology.

AwareIM app with beautiful UI/UX - https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/crfUrrVeB3t
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

johntalbott wrote:This is the base list of required API integration to at least be on par with what's already out there.
  • Accelerometer
    Camera
    Compass
    Contacts
    File
    Geolocation
    Media
    Network
    Notification (alert, sound, vibration)
    Storage
I'd love it if Cordova were directly built into the AwareIM IDE, but for the shorter term ... I settle for just being able to do it somewhat manually. Hopefully this would keep the door open for integration of other Cordova plug-ins as they will come out faster than Aware could keep up.

btw .. the list above is from ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Cordova
Just remember, Aware is not using Cordova. It's using Phonegap.
johntalbott

Post by johntalbott »

But they should be ...

AwareIM app with beautiful UI/UX - https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/crfUrrVeB3t
johntalbott

Post by johntalbott »

To clarify ... while the list above refers to the core integration provided by Cordova, PhoneGap (Adobe's productized version of Cordova) should still have all of those capabilities.

The advantage of Cordova in my mind, is that it's completely open source. Also .. I'm not a 100% certain of this .. but I believe that PhoneGap has it's own API that sits on top of Cordova. If that is the case ... the Aware code would talking to the PhoneGap code that is talking to the Cordova code ... meaning there is an extra layer. Every layer is a performance hit which on a mobile devices results in very noticeable lag/poor UX, which is the primary knock on hybrid apps.

My assumption is these are some of the reasons Telerik, Appery, Ionic, etc using Cordova rather than PhoneGap.

BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

johntalbott wrote:To clarify ...
There are a few points to keep in mind:
1) If there are any lag due to the layers, those "lags" are only present when the app is making calls to the phone services and NOT when the app is running in the sandbox. The UI performance are not affected, since the Browser engine inside of the shell is still running the app and not the shell.

2) Hybrid apps are more suited for Business applications that are more generally used for data gathering and presentations. The current new web browser's engine have proven to have a good performance for "Business" Apps. Native apps are those that require intense and raw usage of the mobile resources and that's where you use Objective-C or Java (in Android) to eliminate any lags. Aware apps are 99% business apps.

3) The products that you mentioned are mainly concentrating on "Mobile ONLY" apps as their main business. Aware IM's Mobile is just a small part of the entire package. Aware offers so many things beyond Mobile. So, going with low level Cordova, requires a lot more resources involved than going with Phonegap, where lots of stuff has already been done by Adobe and Aware can save lots of time on it.

At this point, having a full featured Phongap integrated is much better than using Cordova with half integration to gain a bit more performance where it may not even apply to Aware apps.
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

Thanks for the clarification Ben and good discussion. I again hope we can get the basic stuff and then over time hopefully get more and more integrations like device features etc.. Mobile first is more true right now than ever before and also applies to many business applications/scenarios and hopefully AwareIM will follow.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

hpl123 wrote:Mobile first is more true right now than ever before and also applies to many business applications/scenarios and hopefully AwareIM will follow.
This is VERY TRUE and I have already come across it. I've tried to offer my consulting service as Mobile First development service, but I'm running into once issue that I have shared with Support a few months back and it's also part of this discussion.
We, as Aware developers may get excited that we can develop a browser base Mobile app that this the same as a desktop and we tell that to the end user, they don't show the same excitement.
Today's Mobile users are so accustomed to the features that their phone offers or True Native offers, that a browser app feels to them like an old generation.

For example, a Insurance agent, pulls up a client and he wants the ability to tap on the client's phone # in Aware's form and the app to dial the number for him. To him, that's very important.
He wants to be able to take pictures from an Aware form and the picture automatically gets saved in the DB.

My users, want to download a series of videos and store them in Aware app, where the app stores the video in Mobile and has a link to the mobile storage. Then they can play it from Aware app and the video is stored in Mobile storage.

A delivery man delivers a package, have the user to sign in an aware form, but the want the Aware form records the Geolocation from Sat, where the package was delivered and signed.

If you can't deliver these features, you loose the sale to do the project. Unless we can offer these basic features of the phone, the Mobile remains behind of the industry.
JonP

Post by JonP »

What happened with this? I'm considering creating a mobile app, but it needs to access contacts. Is Phonegap still just a fancy shell?
v8.1 on Windows 10 / MySQL 5.6 (local), v8.1 on Windows Server 2016 / MySQL 5.6 (server)
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

JonP wrote:What happened with this? I'm considering creating a mobile app, but it needs to access contacts. Is Phonegap still just a fancy shell?
Well Jon, the PhoneGap implementation in Aware doesn't give true access to Contact filing system.

For that, if you want to stay with ONE code base (JS) to natively access iOS or Android features, you have 3 solid options:
Ionics
NativeScript
React Naive

However, with all these features you need a full featured REST service with authentication, And Aware doesn't have that (Yes, I've tell support this since 2014). So, we really can not develop Native Mobile (Not hybrid using PhoneGap or Cordoba) as a front to Aware App.
idpSteve

Post by idpSteve »

@JonP

We build apps using phonegap. There are indeed issues, but most are manageable.

Phonegap is still a fancy shell, based around chromium browser, but a lot of the cordova plugins are cool.

I haven't accessed contacts before, here is where I'd start:

https://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/late ... -contacts/

Drop me a pm if you don't get anywhere.
intra

Post by intra »

Recently 'flutter' has also been released from beta.

https://flutter.io/
Avid Linux user....
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

I'd love to see a course on this at the conference
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
idpSteve

Post by idpSteve »

Jaymer wrote:I'd love to see a course on this at the conference
+1000000
customaware

Post by customaware »

intra wrote:Recently 'flutter' has also been released from beta.

But can that be integrated with Aware in any way?
Cheers,
Mark
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

eagles9999 wrote:
intra wrote:Recently 'flutter' has also been released from beta.

But can that be integrated with Aware in any way?
That's the point. That means it has to be done by Awaresoft, not us, just like phonegap.