Problem with Word Document

Contains tips for configurators working with Aware IM
pbrad

Problem with Word Document

Post by pbrad »

Hi,

I am having a problem with displaying Documents of type .doc or .docx. The new display document window shows for a second or two and then disappears. I wondered if it would help if I installed Word on the server but it didn't make any difference.

If I convert the Word Document to an .rtf or a .pdf file it works fine. It must be some kind of file association issue but I was wondering if you guys had run across this in the past at all. I'm not sure if there is some kind of file association configuration within AwareIM or if this is strictly a server issue.

Any help appreciated,
Cheers,
Pete
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Hi Pete,

On the client machine are the .doc and .docx files associated to Word or are you using something else (like OpenOffice)
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hi,

Problem is occurring on all tested client machines, all with Word installed on Client. It shouldn't matter anyway because it doesn't get as far as asking whether you want to open or save the document. The problem is definitely on the server end, not the client end.

Pete
tford

Post by tford »

Hi Pete,

I think it's an IE popup blocker issue. I've been able to open the same Word doc in FF, but not FF.

I'm still testing to try to find the right IE settings.

Tom
tford

Post by tford »

Hmmm. This is definitely an IE issue. I tested in Google Chrome browser and Word doc downloaded fine.

But it does not seem to be an IE popup blocker issue. I turned off IE popup blocking and still get the beep.

Tom
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hi Tom,

Same problem with Excel Spreadsheets.

Pete
tford

Post by tford »

Got me stumped. I've been trying to Google various terms, but can't find solution????
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hi Tom,

If you go to IE/Tools/Internet Options/Security Tab/Custom level button and change 'Downloads/Automatic prompting for file downloads' from Disable to Enable the problem is fixed.

The issue of course is that it is not practical to get all users to set custom security levels, particularly if the application has a large user base. There must be some way to get around this. I will keep working on it.

Pete
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Hi tom,

Tested with Office 2003 - and starting Aware Operation from the configuration Tool Menu worked fine. (I remote desktop'd in) Office 2003 is running on my home server

Tested with Office 2007 remotely using standard IE browser - got the same results as you - even with all blockers off.

What are you using?

If I don't see an cure by tonight I'll upload a test to my live server which has NO office apps running and re-test with Ofice(s) 2003 and 2007

Might be one for Awre support
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Further testing.

Set all my browsers to disable automatic prompting.

Worked locally with Office 2003, didn't work remotely with Office 2007 (both IE7)

DID work both locally and remotely with Safari (Windows version)

Not tried with Chrome - will try later

I'm coming down in favour of a glitch with Office 2007/IE7 combo

Any more thoughts Tom?
tford

Post by tford »

I tested with Chrome & it worked fine.

I run Office 2003 on my client machine and experienced the IE7 problem there, so it's not just an Office 2007/IE issue.

Tom
tford

Post by tford »

Pete,

I also tested on Safari 3.2.1 on an iMac and WAS able to download and open a Word doc once popup blockers were turned off.

Tom
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hi Support,

The issue seems to be around file associations as IE has no problem opening up a document if it is a .rtf, .csv, .txt, or .jpg file but will not offer up the open or save dialog box for a .doc or .xls file.

This used to work fine on our old server using V3 but with the new server and a new version and possible recent changes to IE, I am not sure where the root cause of this issue is.

I am wondering if there is any kind of file association config file for Tomcat that lists particular file extensions that it knows what to do with?

Cheers,
Pete
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

I think the tomcat idea is a bit of a blind alley because The server isn't doing any rendering or decision making. It just sends the file irrespective of its file attribute.

I just did a quick test on my laptop which has .doc files asociated to OpenOffice and it all worked fine. I've also recently displayed .iGC files which, unless you are a pilot you'd never know what program to associate it with.

As far as I can tell the issue is unrelated to the server - but I'm new to Aware so I'm open to be corrected
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Just a quickie Pete,

In my IE I had turned off my pop-up blocker in tools BUT - I discovered I had another blocker operating in my google toolbar. Once I had turned that one off as well - everything worked ok.