Javaw.exe hogging CPU

If you think that something doesn't work in Aware IM post your message here
jclark58

Javaw.exe hogging CPU

Post by jclark58 »

I have noticed that javaw.exe periodically maxes out the CPU under windows XP. Machine response slows dramatically to the point where text entry is delayed by several seconds.

In Task Manager CPU usage is 100% and javawe.exe is at the top of the list with a CPU Usage of 70% plus. The slowdown can last for a few minutes or up to almost an hour - when I have shut down and restarted the AwareIM server and on occaision rebooted.

This is on my dev machine, Windows XP, 2GB RAM, Core 2 Duo. I usually have a few IE windows open, Outlook and AwareIM server and Configurator.

Is anybody else seeing such behaviour?

Any ideas how to further diagnose / track down?

regards
John
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

What database are you using? Can you pinpoint the operation that causes this?
Aware IM Support Team
jclark58

Post by jclark58 »

Currently using Derby. No we havent been able to pinpoint that triggering behaviour. Was wondering whether anybody else has seen similar behaviour so that we might be able to narrow down some possibilities.

John
jclark58

Post by jclark58 »

OK I have it happening at the moment. Two issues I seem to be having: trouble after lost connection with the AwareIm server from the Configurator. I reconnected and got a "Connection Reestablished" but then Updated the BS which hung. Earlier it seemd to happen when I tried to start the Report/Presentation designer. Configurator seemed to hang (or atleast go away for a long time ) Then I noticed that Javawe.exe was hogging the CPU.

At present I have just termionated JAVAW.EXE out of frustration and am waiting for the Configurator and AWAREIM Howto (both Java.exe instances) to time out and come back.

I do seem to lost my connection with the server regularly - I am running both AwareIM server and Configurator locally. I have my system running in a power mode where it doesnt suspemd or hibernate whilst powered.

What else could be causing this?

John
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Is anything being printed in the output of the servers when you lose connection to the server from the Configuration Tool?

Problems like these may happen if you have unstable Internet connection (for example, a router that gets reset every now and then)
Aware IM Support Team